Chapter 46

Landing in Los Angeles and checking into his hotel, in the city for a body shoot with ESPN, he is also meeting a potential new publicist. A recommendation by a close friend. He's sitting down eating some breakfast at the hotel, waiting for the new publicist. He looks up and sees a tall, leggy blond walk over.

"Shawn Rhosen," she walks over. "I'm Stephanie Nichols."

He stands up a little shocked and shakes her hand. "Nice to meet you, they say you're pretty good," he smiles.

"I've heard that," she laughs, sitting down across from him. "So tell me about yourself."

"Well, what do you want to know?"

Stephanie shrugs. "You haven't hired me yet. What should I know?"

"I have an eight-year-old daughter named Cora who's back in BC with my mom. I have a crazy ex-wife that I only got married to because of my daughter," he smiles. "Ever heard of Janelle Crownover-Rhosen?"

"The model?"

"Yes. That's my ex-wife."

"Alright," she smiles. "Well, that's quite the past."

"Yeah, she's something."

"Well, we'll make sure we focus on something else."

"Thanks," Shawn laughs. "I'm pretty easy to work with."

"Good to hear. Ready for tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I'm ready to get it done and go back to my family."

"I would be too. It sounds like you have a pretty good set up."

"Yeah. So why should I hire you?"

"I'm here to work for you. Keep your interests to yourself unless it's good publicity. I'm not here to make you look like an asshole."

"That's good because that's all my last publicist wanted to do. He was too preoccupied with getting me laid."

"Well that might not be a bad thing," she laughs. "I'm joking."

"I have a girlfriend."

"I know. Your high school sweetheart."

"You've done some homework," he nods.

"Your business is my business."

"Impress me more," he laughs, sitting up.

"Your girlfriend is a teacher in BC where you grew up, and she just happens to be the teacher of your little girl," Stephanie says setting a picture down of Shawn and Jenna that the paparazzi took. "She's a hometown girl who doesn't like the spotlight but does it for you. By the looks of her, she sure as hell doesn't want anything from you. She wants to be with you."

"By the looks of her?" he looks at her confused.

Stephanie holds up a picture of Shawn and Janelle, placing her finger on Janelle in the image. "That is a $2,000 shirt by Yves St. Laurent," he says. He then points to Jenna in the other picture, "that shirt is $90 from Zara."

"Because she doesn't see Shawn Rhosen the baseball player, she sees Shawn Rhosen, the person. She always has."

"And that's why you want to be with her. I understand."

"Well, I think you're hired Stephanie Nichols."

"I'm glad to hear. Let me know if you need help house hunting for that family of yours," she smiles, walking away.

"Yep," Shawn nods watching her walk away as he finishes his breakfast, relaxing the rest of the day before his shoot the next morning.