Chapter 14

Keeping his word when the weekend rolls around, he walks in Cora's room to check on her progress, making a trip to the rehab facility where Janelle is located. "I'm ready daddy," she smiles.

"Alright, now you know it's a long drive, right?"

She nods her head.

"Well let's go," he smiles as they head to the facility, pulling up about forty minutes later. They walk in, Shawn stepping in before her as he sees Janelle sitting in the corner against the wall. He stops dead in his tracks and makes Cora step back.

"She's not in here," Shawn says to his daughter. "Can you go sit down for a second babe?" he asks her. He watches her sit down before stepping in the room. "Your daughter is here..."

Janelle shoots up, her eyes bloodshot and looking horrible. "Cora...my Cora is here...where?" she looks around.

"No," he shakes his head. "She is not seeing you like this..."

"Shawn. Let me see her," she stands up, pushing Shawn roughly, track marks on her arms, at least six of them.

He sighs, knowing he promised his little girl. "Stay here, I'll get her," he says softly walking out of the room and to his daughter still sitting on the chair.

"Hi daddy," she smiles.

"So we're gonna go in and see mommy, and I want you to be good okay? She's missed you," he smiles.

The father and daughter pair walk in, Cora running over to Janelle, wrapping her arms tight around the little girl. Shawn stays close and watches them interact.

"Hi baby," she smiles, holding the little girls face. "Momma missed you so much baby," she slurs.

Shawn steps out and pulls out his phone but stays near the door so he can see everything as he calls his publicist, waiting for him to answer.

"Hey man, how's BC?" Tade asks on the other end.

"It's fine, umm we need to talk about Janelle."

"How's she doing? Press is saying she's doing great and sticking to her plan."

"Yeah well, I don't know where they are getting their information."

"I don't know, but you guys are being praised the 'can make it' couple this month."

Shawn rolls his eyes. "She's using while she's in here."

"Shit man...sorry. What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I gave her an ultimatum. Her daughter or jail."

"Yeah well, I know what she'll choose."

"Yeah, jail? Me too," Shawn smirks.

"Man I know you wanted to stay with her for Cora..." Tade says.

"Yeah, but I might have a chance with an old high school girlfriend, but you know legally I am married."

"That girl you were still all hot for when you came out here? Good luck," he smiles.

"Dude she's my kid's teacher now," Shawn laughs.

"Small town. This is why you move to the big city. You don't run into exes."

"I don't mind running into this one."

"Well, seven years is a long time man."

"And she still looks good. I can't believe I'm saying this, but she looks better," Shawn laughs peeking into the room.

"Well from what you told me maybe I should fly her here and give her the grand tour."

"Dude I got to go, Janelle is passed out."

"Keep me informed man. Good luck with the ex."

"Sshh daddy, momma's sleeping," Cora places a finger in front of her lips.

"Yeah, I see that. Hey, what do you say we go get some ice cream?"

"Sleep tight mommy," Cora says, kissing her mother on the cheek and walking out with Shawn. "Daddy?"

"Yeah honey?"

"Gramma says you used to be friends with Miss. Jenna. How come you don't play with her?"

"Yeah me and Miss. Jenna were pretty good friends," he smiles.

"You should invite her over for dinner Daddy. Friends eat with friends."

"We might do that," he nods. "Do you like her?"

"She's very nice daddy."

"She's pretty too isn't she?"

Cora nods.