Chapter 9

"Daddy..." he hears a little girl's voice and moving a little. "Daddy," he feels pressure on his chest. He opens his eyes and sees Cora laying in the bed with him looking directly at him. He rolls over, 6:45 on the clock.

"Hey," he smiles, "good morning sunshine," he sits up rubbing his eyes.

"It's school...daddy...school," Cora smiles.

"Okay okay," he sits up. "Go get dressed," he instructs before getting dressed, pulling on some jeans and t-shirt and a zip up hoodie. He walks into her room and sees her dressed up in a sundress and boots, looking a bit like Jenna that first day of Senior year.

"Come here let me do your hair," Shawn instructs sitting on her bed as she walks over, Shawn begins to braid it.

"Daddy make sure it's perfect."

"I will baby," he says, finishing up a few minutes later. "How does it look?"

"Perfect," she smiles. "How do I look?"

"You look amazing," Shawn says pulling out his phone to take a few pictures. "Let's go find Grandma so we can get a couple of pictures then we'll leave okay?"

"Daddy," she whines when Shawn snaps her picture. She then runs downstairs yelling for his mom. He gets pictures of grandma and granddaughter and then daughter and father before they head to the school. Cora looks out the window the whole time.

"You grew up here daddy?" Cora asks.

"Yep I did," he nods. "I even went to this elementary school."

"Really?"

"Yep. Are you ready to make some new friends?" he asks as they park and get out of the truck, Cora nodding. He holds her hand and walks in, some of the office ladies recognizing him because of him going to the same school, the same principal is there as well.

"Miss. Cora Rhosen I presume," the principal smiles at her. "Are you ready to start second grade?"

Cora nods but still holding Shawn's hand and staying close to him.

"Should daddy come too?" the principal asks. Cora answers with a vigorous head nod as they walk down the hall to her classroom. "What do we say we go in first and daddy can come in a minute?"

Shawn kneels. "You'll be fine okay. I'll be standing right out here, and then I'll be in," he says, leaning over and kissing the little girl on the forehead. He watches the principal walk her into the classroom and the door shut behind them as he stands out there, pulling out his phone to text his mom. A few minutes later the door opens once more.

"Mr. Rhosen I believe you know our Grade two teacher Miss. McNight," the principal says.

He's not expecting to see the woman standing in front of him. "He...hey," Shawn smiles, almost speechless when he sees his girl from eight years ago standing in front of him.

"Hi Shawn," she smiles.

"How...how are you?"

"I'm alright. How are you?"

"I'm...I'm great. You um, you look good."

"Thank you," she smiles, "you too. I should get back in. I'll take good care of her," she smiles disappearing behind the door as Shawn can see her through the window. He watches Jenna kneel next to Cora, talking to her since she came in the middle of the school year.

"I'll be in my office if you have any questions, but I'm sure you know she's in good hands," the principal chuckles.

"And why are you laughing?" Shawn smiles following her.

"I'm guessing your mother didn't tell you who her grade two teacher was?"

"No, she left that little detail out."

"I'm thinking it won't be a problem?"

"Why would it be?"

"No reason," she smiles. "Have a good day Mr. Rhosen. If you need anything, you know where my office is," she smiles walking into the office.

"Thank you," he nods.