epilogue

epilogue"and, i must say, i quite enjoy the silence"

epilogue
"and, i must say,
i quite enjoy the silence"

The BiFrost took them to the only place Lusine knew wouldn't assume this was another invasion: S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters.

Whether or not this was a smart move, she didn't know. But this was the only move she had that could land her and her companions into a position of safety over the hell that would be cluelessness. She barely understood how this world worked, let alone Olea or Florian who'd never been in their entire lives.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Florian questioned, clearly suspicious. His hawk eyes scanned the room relentlessly, curiosity and paranoia taking a grip on his senses.

"Of course, it's the right place," Lusine replied as she dropped her bag to the floor and brushed hair from her face to collect in waves behind her ears. "Just give them a few seconds. They'll be here with their best in due course."

"What do you mean 'their best'?" Olea asked, her fingers reached up to the necklace hanging at the base of her throat and began to fiddle with it nervously. "They're not going to hurt us, are they?"

"No, no, they wouldn't. They owe me a favour after New York anyway and," she could hear the stomping of heavy boots rushing up the corridor towards them, "I plan on cashing it in."

"Oh, that's okay then," Olea said, clearly satisfied by her cousin's confidence in these people, in their past and how their relations had formed.

This was a place of safety for them, especially in comparison to the near-hell they'd been born into. How much worse than Remulan could it really be? Olea was willing to bet that it wasn't even close to being half as bad. Maybe not even a quarter. She'd known Lusine had always hated their home, even if she was a member of the ruling royalty. So, if this was the place she was choosing to call home, for however long, then Midgard couldn't be a terrible place to live and die.

The door didn't clatter open and swing into the wall like Lusine had imagined it would. Instead, the door was opened calmly and collectedly, and the ever-professional face of Agent Maria Hill came into view.

"Miss Volkov, it's a pleasure to see you again," She said, as much warmth seeping through as possible for a woman locked into her role.

Lusine stepped towards her, not missing the soldiers on either side tense, and extended a hand. "Likewise, Agent Hill," She replied, smiling crookedly as her hand was shaken.

As Maria made the necessary eye-contact for a polite conversation, Lusine's eyes seemed to flare a richer blue than even the vastest oceans of the Earth couldn't compete with.

"I believe you owe me a favour, Agent Hill, isn't that right?" Her head tilted to the side, locks of hair escaped from behind her ear and fall onto her cheeks.

"Yes, that's right." Maria nodded, smiling widely. "What can we do for you, Miss Volkov?"

Lusine retracted her hand and slid both into her pockets. "For one, you may call me Lusine and only Lusine. No formalities. I don't wish for such a thing anymore. For another, the favour I'm asking for isn't anything taxing. I just want a place big enough for my companions and I."

"Yes, of course, we can definitely get that done for you, Lusine," She responded without hesitation. "After all that you've done for this city I'm sure there's a home for you to make within it."

"Thank you, Agent Hill." Lusine turned and picked up her bags once more, ignoring Florian as he glared at her and Olea as she simply stared in bewilderment. "That will be all," She paused, her mouth glamoured into a simple smile, "unless the captain is around?"

"No, I don't think he's here today, sorry," Agent Hill said. "We can get that place for you to stay sorted as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can stay here for a few days to rest, if you wish. I'm sure you've had a long journey."

"That would be great, thank you," Olea said, finally breaking out of wonder and speaking up. She took a few steps forward and extended her hand. "I'm Olea Kella, by the way," She introduced, smiling from ear to ear with glee at meeting a human.

Maria shook her hand and replied, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Kella."

Of course, she'd read all about them in her books and scrolls but had never actually met one in their natural habitat. This was an adventure for her too, after all.

Unknown to her, Florian rolled his eyes behind her back and crossed his arms. There was no chance in hell he was shaking their hand. Not until they'd earnt his respect at least.

This was a sight Lusine Volkov had never dreamed of seeing in all her life. Her cousin she'd always had a low tolerance for being her closest companion and shaking the hand of a human who, under very different circumstances, may have been firing her gun to Lusine's heart for the alliances she made.

But she'd made the right alliances and had found herself with a cousin who she loved much more dearly than she had ever done before and Florian Aubade, a traitor to her mother with a lot to prove.

Now, there was everything to fight for and, as stubborn as ever, she wouldn't stop fighting until the final breath of air left her broken, bleeding corpse.

TO BE CONTINUED...

-

919 words
6.9.18

wow, i really can't believe this is actually over. I'm not sad because i know this isn't the end of these characters' stories. There's going to be a third book called 'out of time' which takes place before TWS and during TWS coming out very soon after this epilogue is posted.

There will also be a short, spin-off book for Casia and Thor that will explore their relationship more following the events of TDW.

This isn't the end of the series, this is just the end of one book that's been going on FAR too long! I hope you'll all stick around for the following books and will enjoy it just as much as this one.

Thank you for all your support over the years since I created Lusine in 2015. I never thought it would get this far and I'm constantly amazed by the support and love for my work. I can't thank you enough.

If anyone has any burning questions for this story (aka if I've left anything unclear) don't be afraid to ask! I'm always up for answering any questions.

Thanks again,
Love Lau x