one, comply

o n e" look me in the eyes "-

o n e
" look me in the eyes "
-

Like a corpse, she lay still and silent. Rigid and frozen. Her hair lay sprawled around her head in swirls of agonising dark and her eyes were closed, but lined with prominent inky veins that trailed from her eyelids to her cheeks, to her jaw, down her neck and far, far beyond in rivers that told more than she would have liked.

But she was unconscious: She could do nothing to change how she lay in vulnerability for the vultures and other sly scavengers who dared approach her where she slumbered. Not that any of them dared come near the body of the goddess.

She may have been unconscious, but she was still very much awake on the inside.

From where she had fallen from the sky, her body had bruised and burned with a dull ache that shot new pain through her every single time she challenged herself to breathe.

And so she lay there, awake and yet not awake. An image of her demise painted against the hot, red sand.

She could hear everything, her ears tuning in as the sound of something approaching sent the alarm bells ringing loud and clear. It was then and only then that her eyes opened. Slowly, but they were open.

It felt like heaven as she curled and uncurled her fingers, feeling the sand beneath her knuckles as she stared up at the sky just praying that this was the beginning, not the end. She wiggled her toes in her boots, feeling the movement surge through her body and send her brain into a happiness and warmth that hadn't been present in what felt like centuries.

Centuries of pain where her body felt as if it were being compressed and expanded all at once, her mind being engrained with thought after thought and memory after memory. There were moments where her heart felt as if it had crumbled to dust within her, abandoning her in her time of need.

The sound of steps in the sand approaching shuddered through her body as she forced herself to roll onto her front, grunting at the pain. She was still locked into her armour, her cape torn and her hair a mangled mess a top her head, but appearance wasn't her main concern when death threatened her with an iron fist.

She clenched her fists in the sand and pushed herself onto her knees, her lungs burning with hell's fire.

A hand on her shoulder send a hiss to her lips. The hand retracted, but whoever stood there did not retreat at her venomous sound.

She forced herself to look up, begging her eyes to remain blue, and came face to face with a man looking down at her with concern and professionalism written between the lines of his face and his soulful eyes.

"My name is Agent Phil Coulson," He introduced, a friendly smile crossing him. "Why have you come to Earth?"

The woman locked eyes with him, reaching her hand out to him and taking his wrist. "Help me," Was all she said, but her eyes flashed pure black.

He could do nothing but comply.

-

it's back baby