nineteen, the sorrows of a wolf

nineteen"embrace all that is you"

nineteen
"embrace all that is you"

Lusine was barely around the corner when the sound of paws hitting the floor, rushing towards her sent her heart into flight with the joy that overcame her.

There they were: Lieve and Lai.

The direwolves scampered towards her, knocked over the guards and civilians in their way as they were, at last, reunited with their mother. No part of her felt annoyance as they bowled her over. Her back thudded against the stone floor; laughed like the bubbling teenager she'd been an eternity ago as they slobbered all over her, pinning her to the floor as they nuzzled against her.

Lusine reluctantly pushed them off her and said between laughter, "That's enough, that's enough!" she clambered to her feet, running a hand over each of their silky white coats. "We're making a scene, but my! Haven't both of you grown?" 

"Oh, of course you own literal direwolves." Casia's voice came from behind and although her tone sounded irritable, her face was filled with bewilderment and even disbelief. "Thought these were just Game of Thrones things, y'know?"

"Game of Thrones?" Lusine frowned, not understanding the reference.

"It's a Midgard thing," The other woman replied, folding her arms as she kept a careful eye locked on the wolves that watched her right back, not missing a single movement she made.

To her, Lusine had never looked godly. She had been the wrath in the dawn, the streak of darkness in the dusk, but never divinity breaching through in a golden wash of light. But now?

Now she looked like the goddess she'd always claimed to be.

Every inch of her screamed other worldly and, while she would bleed and die as the rest would, Lusine would not go down without bringing the whole world with her. A respectable feat, no doubt.

"I expected as such," Lusine said, absently stroking the wolves at her command.

Those wolves would tear throats for her and yet there was something so loving about the way they regarded her. Beyond loyalty, closer to an unexplainable bond that could only be broken by the icy scythe of death.

"I intend to leave this place as soon as we are able to. For a while, I suppose we should remain just to be grateful of their hospitality, but beyond that... We leave for Remulan within the month," Lusine said, distaste burning her tongue as she spoke of remaining in a place that wore her own blood like warpaint.

"Great." Casia shook a hand through her dark curls of hair. "And what will we do while we're here?"

"I don't know about you, but I'm going to clear out their entire wine collection," She jested, striding forward and passing Casia by. "I also have some things that I wish to... take care of before we depart and begin your training. So, I suggest you make the most of your freedom and ability to walk painlessly."