fifteen, battle

fifteen"let the sun kiss your brow"

fifteen
"let the sun kiss your brow"

Lusine took down Chitauri after Chitauri, forcing them back as she and Steve advanced through the street. Mercy did not find its way to her palms as she gripped the arm of the alien and tore it from the joint, tossing it to the side along with its weapon. Through its chest her spear went. With a grunt, she twisted it and the Chitauri sagged beneath her might.

The sound of movement met her keen ears as she ripped the bloodied weapon from its chest, readied for the next opponent. 

Lusine's head snapped to the side, her purple eyes searching for the source of the noise, wondering if it was another attacker come to play. Alas, her heart stopped in her chest as she looked upon the crumbled car to see the rosy face of a child, streaked in tears and dust peering back at her from behind the glass. 

The spear clattered from her hands as she hurried to the car, tearing the door from it without taking a breath.

The child recoiled with a scream, pressing itself back against the slumped body behind her, hand coiling around the lifeless hand of what Lusine realised with utter despair was the child's mother. A young woman, dead before her time. 

Lusine swallowed. "It's okay," She said gently, forcing her eyes to shift back to their beautiful shade of blue, pushing her mouth into a soft smile. "What's your name, sweet child?" Lusine crouched down, one blood-stained hand resting against the frame of the brutalised car.

"Clara," The little girl managed to say. Her eyes still streamed with tears of terror as the goddess knelt before her. The clutched both of her tiny hands together as she asked, "Are you going to hurt me?"

"Why would I hurt you? I am here to help," Lusine replied, careful to keep her tone steady and gentle for the terrified child before her.

"I saw you killing," Clara said with a hiccup and fiercely wiped the wetness from her cheeks, "I don't want to die."

"I am here to help you, Clara, those things I killed weren't friendly, I'm afraid." Lusine extended her hand further, all too aware of the Chitauri behind her advancing. Steve was good, beyond good, but she knew he would never be able to keep back an entire swarm for long.

Clara hesitated for a moment, but, to Lusine's relief, placed her hand in hers and let Lusine pull her from the wreckage. With the girl in her arms, Lusine turned to Steve as he put down yet another one of the vicious aliens.

Lusine's mouth parted lightly with surprise as the girl clung to her with a grip of fright that just made her hold the child to her even tighter, a hand on the back of her head to keep her safe.

Steve might've smiled at the shock on her face if it weren't in the middle of a battle with a newly orphaned child.

"I'm going to take her to some Midgardians who can care for her," Lusine told him, gently stroking the girl's hair as she sobbed into her chest. "I trust that you can fight alone for a moment?"