four, the void and the chaos

four"dangerous, venomous"

four
"dangerous, venomous"

Lusine had barely had time to fasten the material belt at her waist before there was a loud, rapid knocking at her door, followed by the piercing shriek of sirens and the stomping of the boots of running soldiers.

At complete peace, she ran her hands down her body to smooth the black silk and crossed the room to the door, swinging it open with a simple smile laid upon her mouth.

"Miss Volkov," Agent Coulson began, out of breath, "we are evacuating. You need to leave immediately. Come with me."

With a quirk of an eyebrow, Lusine closed the door behind her and followed. "Are we being attacked?" She asked with a genuine curiosity, matching his brisk pace, bare feet hot against the cool floor.

"Not quite," Coulson replied as they turned the corner sharply and Lusine took a moment to evaluate the man in the middle of the evacuation.

She knew he was well-respected here. Heard his name in the mouths of many attendees. He'd even persuaded her to undergo testing after he assured her that it wasn't for scientific purposes but more for the good of her own health. The doctor had peered into her eyes with a light, tested reflexes, measured her temperature, and everything in between to understand what needed to be done for her.

Despite the testing and the cursing from Lusine, he found nothing to be devastated about. He bandaged her wounds and told her to get plenty of rest.

An hour later she pulled the bandages off and found her skin healed. The swell of bruising had diminished and it seemed that even a little of the black veins had shrunken away.

The underlying wounds would take longer to heal. She realised this as Coulson urged her to hurry along, her bones creaking as she picked up the pace as if they were ready to splinter within her, severing from the mainframe.

"Then what is it?" Lusine questioned further, her voice retreating to the snap of venom she'd always known to suit it best.

"Nothing for you to be concerned about right now. Best to get to safety first, Miss Volkov," He insisted, his eyes turning to her with a brief warning not to persist.

The temptation to extend her claws and grasp him with her power tickled in her fingertips, but, for the first time, Lusine resisted the urge. She needed to preserve her power for greater things, not the curiosity, the love of power, that had always plagued her.

Already declined a response, Coulson leads Lusine to the vehicle which would take her to safety. He tells her to get in and to buckled herself up.

Then the ground shook.

The Agent held onto the car, steadying himself, and Lusine stumbled to the side before steadying herself. Without another question, she squeezed into the back of the car and forced herself to sit and wait.