sixteen, stars and stripes

sixteen"smile, darling"

sixteen
"smile, darling"

While Thor defeated any Chitauri that got in the way, Lusine held the newly-powerful woman up and helped her to walk as they made their way through the city. Casia needed to rest, but there was no chance she could be left to lean against that car. She'd be torn to shreds before that power inside of her could rise to meet the threat.

Lusine tightened her grip as Casia slumped into her, barely holding on through the fatigue that plagued her, unyielding even as her body screamed.

"Keep your eyes open, Agent," Lusine commanded, jolting her to force her to keep her eyelids open even as sleep seduced with its silky voice and comforting promises of peace and serenity. Lies. Blatant lies wrapped in pretty ribbon, topped with a bow.

"You saved my life," Casia mumbled, voice rasped and a shadow of the constant quips that had come from her mouth hours before. "Thank you."

"It is not your day to die," Lusine replied quietly, knowing her words as nothing but the truth as she spoke them to the woman who, one day, would be able to bring this city to its knees if she so much as wished it to be so.

Casia was only just coming into the powers that had been waiting for her all its life, manifesting from birth and finally ripping away the cloak in her greatest hour of need to rip her from the talons of death herself.

"How do you do it?" She asked, clutching desperately as her muscles began to fail her. "How do you control it?"

"It takes time," Lusine said, remembering her struggles. Not fully convinced she could completely control her power, she shook her head. "You need help. Lots of help. You cannot do this alone."

Casia's head lolled to the side as she looked at Lusine lazily. "Help me then," She responded as if it were the obvious thing for Lusine to offer up. her eyes began to close, but she forced them to remain open as she awaited a response.

The agent spoke as if it wouldn't take months if not years depending on the intensity of that power that raged as raw as a thunderstorm. Untamed, dangerous.

"It's not that simple," Lusine said. Casia didn't know if it was fatigue catching up with her or genuine, but she swore she saw a sadness crash across the goddess' face like a tidal wave. Even a divine presence was not above emotion. "I wish I could."

"My whole life I've been taught to be brave and face my battles head on. I want your help and if you won't give it to me then I will go this alone," Casia said with pure determination lacing her breathy voice as she strained, unblinking as Thor took down another Chitauri in their path. "I have cowered as this power emerged and I will do so no longer."

Lusine finally turned her head to see the woman's face and saw bravery like none other. If she'd had that bravery, maybe she would've been able to heed her father's warnings and not fall into Loki's arms at the sound of his honeyed words and touch of his kiss at her throat.