fourteen, the monster who saved earth

fourteen"bask in the moonlight"

fourteen
"bask in the moonlight"

Casia pressed a finger tentatively down on the bruise of her arm as she watched out of the window. Tony Stark rocketed past in his suit, heading straight to Stark Tower. His baby, he'd called it and Casia had never rolled her eyes harder.

There wasn't much time to consider staying behind, despite what Doctor Greer had made her insist. Not that Casia would ever stay behind. She'd come too far for that. Changed from a little girl into a woman with a deadly eye for firearms.

If she could completely shut that little girl out, she would in a heartbeat.

Become the epitome of killing-calm walking. Let her muscles do the work while her mind relaxed into a grey morality, no longer the girl who made daisy chains with her step-sisters all summer afternoon aged twelve.

Long gone were days of daisy chains and here were the days of broken bones and bruised bodies.

As the quinjet neared Stark Tower, Lusine rose to her feet.

Casia always found herself keenly aware of the goddess' movements, with no lack of distaste for her own paranoia, but she didn't think she'd ever have a night's sleep where she didn't have flashing images of that snarling princess and the echoing snap of her own bones, broken as if they were nothing more than twigs underfoot.

"Agent Romanoff," Lusine called, her expression unreadable, "Please open the doors as we fly by Stark Tower. I have business to tend to."

"I don't think-"

"Open the doors, Natasha," Steve said, cutting her off with an unwavering tone.

Lusine sent him a grateful nod as she strode towards the opening doors. As they flew by the tower, she blinked from existence, a wisp of white light left behind to rush into the wind, locked out as the doors closed again.

"Since when could she teleport?" Casia frowned, crossing her arms as she hid behind her mask. "Surely that's not allowed."

"I get the feeling she does what she wants and that's that," Clint replied, already grasping Lusine within moments of meeting her. They'd barely spoken other than introductions, but he knew a head-strong woman when he saw one.

Casia hummed in response, turning to look out of the window again just in time to see Lusine appear on the tower in a flicker of light.

"She's dangerous," Casia said, scowling through the window as if the goddess would be able to see such a storm upon her brow.

"I'm glad someone else thinks so," Natasha commented under her breath as the quinjet swung around, blasting at the army before them who return the fire without hesitation. Inhuman devotion to their cause.

"But she's willing to help us against someone she loves because she knows it's the right thing to do," Steve said, defending Lusine as he remembered the way her body had racked with sobs at the raw memories and sins. True regret lined her beautiful face in that moment he'd wiped those tears from her cheeks and told her he believed in her. "That doesn't sound dangerous to me."