twenty five, time is the biggest killer of them all

twenty five"and still it finds me here"

twenty five
"and still it finds me here"

The eve had come too quickly for her liking.

Another day gone, another day closer to the edge of the cliff. There would be no stopping when they reached the edge. Running then plummeting. Falling to her death where it waited to catch her, open armed and open mouthed, fangs sharpened just for her.

Oh, how sweet victory would be.

A drop of honey on the tongue. A rose petal in the wind from the gift of a lover. A pretty little ribbon tied up in a bow. The first kiss of a new love.

The phoenix wanted to lap every morsel of joy up and boil the life from its bones. To force the broth still bubbling down the mortal's throat.

Casia could feel those talons holding her down, cutting right into her muscle a she writhed and screamed against it, clutching its legs with her burning hands as she fought. But it laughed into her face as the soup went down. She choked and spluttered, turned her head away. The soup ran scalding down her cheeks and chin, burning her skin as she spat out the bitter liquid.

"Let it happen," The phoenix seethed, twisting its talons inside of her, tearing flesh and carving its name into the bone. Writing its riddles and its rhymes, making its mark on that which should never be torn. "Just let the power in, Casia!"

"No!" Casia sputtered as she twisted away again.

Losing its patience, the phoenix took her by the neck and stared her in the eyes with its own raging golden pair, twin suns sunken into the face of the devil. It's head tilted to the side as it breathed in her fear and sunk a single talon into the base of her neck.

"It will be easier for the both of us if you just let me loose," He said, a wicked smile at his mouth when Casia clamped her mouth shut to contain the cry of pain as he turned the talon in her neck. "Let me out of my cage and we can rule the universe. It is our birthright, sweetheart."

"I can't," Casia choked out, clamping a hand around one of his wrists, gritting her teeth against the fire that consumed her forearm. "I don't want to."

"Oh, but you will in time," He replied and, with one quick flick of his wrist, he tore her throat out and stepped away to watch the scene.

Casia's eyes bulged as her hands flew to her neck, a futile attempt to stop the blood flow. But it was no use. It splurged between her fingers, ran down her wrists as she gaped her mouth open and closed, not finding the energy within herself to scream in horror as her very life force pooled around her and she fell to her knees.

"You're running out of time, dear."

Casia tumbled forwards and lay at his feet, dying.

-