thirty, cracks wrought with ichor and gold

thirty"eyes wild, regretful"

thirty
"eyes wild, regretful"

Casia marched to the crumbling tower, fervent to begin, like a freshly unboxed toy soldier. Immaculate paint, pristine plastic and shining in the toy room light.

The possibilities ran through her mind. Lusine obviously intended to focus on her magic control or she wouldn't have requested such a far out meeting place. It was known that her grasp on her magic was not the greatest.

The Phoenix regularly visited her in her dreams, waking her in cold sweat and breathing hard. But she'd learnt that to go back to sleep was to crawl right back into its flames. Instead, she would rise from bed and do anything except sleep. Exercise, read, braid her hair like Delilah had taught her. Absolutely anything to keep sleep at bay.

Loneliness crept in when those nightly hours ticked by. They always went by slowly. She was reminded with every tick of the clock hands of how alone she had truly become in a matter of weeks.

In Asgard, she had no greater purpose. Her reasons for being there were borderline selfish and, no matter how many times she told herself it was for the greater good, she'd realised this the last time she'd spoken to Thor. When he'd scolded her as if she were a little girl for her self-centred mindset.

Her fear fuelled the characteristic she'd never known possible for her to have. As an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., she had always been someone who put the safety of innocents and her colleges before her own.

Never before had she been this terrified of herself. Terrified to the point where the actions she took undermined her true nature.

The first time she'd ever taken a life, she had flooded with relief, not guilt. Commended for her bravery, she'd even managed to smile. The claps of congratulations for completion of a mission all had been worried to go on were slapped on her back.

The terrorist leader was neutralised, zero casualties on their side and Casia had proven herself a valuable asset.

When she thought about that day now, she understood many of the unexplained events she'd kept to herself.

Her untrained strength which was able to over power the enemy in one-on-one combat when she grappled them to the floor and knocked them out with a solid thwack. The bubbling flames in her stomach she'd put down to anticipation for the call. The wave of fury that rushed over her when the leader had come into vision, unconstrained as she raised her weapon, took a breath and fired.

When his body crumpled, the fire died out and all she'd been left with was residual heat to eat away at her through the years. Until it would grow tired of its confinement and beg to be set free.

That day had come and gone.

Everything had changed, she realised as she put one foot in front of the other. The crisp grass crunched beneath her boots. And nothing would ever be the same again.