twenty four, morning farewell

twenty four"and yet again, i find myself alone"

twenty four
"and yet again, i find myself alone"

Casia didn't intend on seeing Lusine before she departed, but having been asleep for too long already, she was up and about in the early morning.

She scrubbed her face clean of last night's make up with such vigour it was a wonder her skin wasn't red raw, but embarrassment couldn't be washed away with soap and water. Couldn't be forgotten in an instant or drained away, out of mind.

What had she been thinking when she'd stepped up to a goddess and taunted her with what she knew would cut deeper than any knife?

In the harsh reality of it, she hadn't been thinking. It wasn't her who'd been turning the steering wheel and thundering up through the gears that evening.

The phoenix was growing stronger with every day that passed and it was becoming harder and harder to control it. To keep the flames at bay. But they were surging faster than she could learn.

An eternal race she was doomed to lose.

And now Lusine was leaving for her dying father; Casia left to walk the dark path alone. A terrifying prospect to say the least. One she would batter and bruise with sarcasm and witty remarks, but never make a dent in to prevent the nights lying staring at the ceiling. Left to wonder whether this was a mountain she could ever hope to climb, or whether this was a losing battle to begin with.

How was she to ever match the raw, untamed power of a phoenix that delighted and thrived in her turmoil?

When the maid crept into her room, expecting her to still be sleeping, Casia hurried from the bathroom, still drying her face. The poor maid startled when she saw her coming towards her, but managed to force a plum smile.

"Good morning, Lady Casia," She greeted politely, holding the heavy bucket of cleaning tools with both hands.

"Morning," Casia replied shortly, without much care as guilt held her by the hand and kissed her softly, "do you know if Lusine has left yet? I think I should see her before she departs."

She wondered if the maid knew what had happened. Wondered if she feared the blazing wrath inside of her. No part of her wanted to care, but she did and her stomach churned at the idea of people she wasn't acquainted with fearing her.

If this was a glimpse into the world of Lusine Volkov, she never wanted to open her eyes again.

"I don't believe they've left yet," The maid said, putting the bucket down beside herself and clasping her dry hands together. "I can show you to where they're preparing to leave, if you'd like?"

"Yeah, that would be great." Casia nodded her head and smoothed down the skirt of her silky dress, wiping the sweat from her palms.

"Well, right this way," The maid said and gestured to the door, leading the way with soft steps.