Chapter 44 : Remember

ERICK'S POV

It's been two days since the accident and Alexa is speaking in short sentences now. She doesn't remember any of us and the last thing she remembers is something a few nights, after Isabella's death, which means that the nightmares are going to bother her. She still doesn't know that she has lost her memory, but the doctors will be telling her today.

I sit on the stool next to her, she's asleep and breathing heavily. I can't stay away from her and since she can't bear the sight of me, I can't be around her when she's awake. The pain in my heart intensified to a hundredfold when she screamed that day.

I stroke her hand and whisper, "Come back to me, baby. Why did you have to forget everything we had?"

I went home once since the accident, mom came to see Alexa twice. I miss having my girlfriend awake, talking, smiling, giggling, blushing and literally everything about her.

What will I not give for her to come back to normal?

I run a hand through my hair as she stirs a little.

"And that's my cue to leave you alone." I sigh as I turn to leave.

"Aiden?"

Oh, hell no.

I don't turn behind because I know she'll scream again. I reach for the doorknob and she speaks again, "That's what you do, don't you? You walk out of doors and run away from me. You don't even have the nerve to look me in the face."

"That's right, I don't."

"Look at me, Aiden."

"No."

"If you ever loved me, turn around."

"I love you and I always will, so I can't, Alexa." I whisper.

"You don't even sound like yourself, just turn around."

"You screamed after you saw me last time, not again." I open the door and sit outside as Lexi's grandma goes inside the room to sit with her.

The doctor walks over to the rest of us and asks us whether we want to tell Alexa about her memory, yet. Lexi's dad agrees and he goes inside with his wife and the doctor.

"Things are never going to be the same, again." I sigh.

"They will be, trust me." Joel pats my back.

I get up and I turn to leave. I have a lot of frustration bottled inside me and I feel like I'm going to explode. I walk away, ignoring all the questions people were asking.

I walk lifelessly to a lonely area and like every single time, I slam my fist against the wall. I don't stop, knowing that nobody will stop me.

Alexa isn't here to stop me.

I keep hitting the wall until my whole hand goes numb and the tears flow down uncontrollably. I feel frustrated, annoyed, devoid of all kind of warm feelings.

I walk down the road that leads me home because I'm certain that my mom isn't at home. I call up Rosette's mom to check if Rose is okay because unfortunately, she had to see Alexa get hit.