Chapter 42 : The Greater Good

ALEXA'S POV

I go back to bed after everyone goes back home. I've slept for two hours and I've already woken up thrice because of nightmares. They're probably temporary because I was thinking about Isabella before I went to bed. I let out a sigh and pull the blanket over my head again.

I can't sleep.

I check my phone and reply to a few birthday texts and then try to sleep again. I still can't sleep, so I send a text to Erick.

Me : Babe, are you awake?

I wait for a few moments, but he doesn't reply. Wow, you're stuck alone here, at three thirty in the morning, Alexa.

A soft knock at the door makes my heart jump and the door opens, revealing a sleepy Erick, wearing the same black shirt that he was wearing, earlier.

"Mami, why are you awake?" He walks over to me drowsily.

"I can't sleep, Eri. Did my text wake you up? I'm so sorry."

"I have a different notification sound for your texts, so I came here to check if you were fine."

"I am fine, I just can't sleep."

He inches closer to my face and narrows his eyes, "Why are you sweating so much, love? It's not even that hot, right now."

"It's nothing-" Erick's eyes give me an unsatisfied look and I just shake my head and tell him the truth, "I had three nightmares in the last two hours."

"Again? I thought they were gone." He gives me a confused look.

"Even I thought so, but well, I was thinking about Isabella, before I slept. I think that's probably why they came back, temporarily."

"Let's hope that they are temporary." He shrugs and plops down next to me.

"I'm tired of these nightmares, now. They're usually the same thing over and over again, but today," I breathe in, "Today was a little different."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I would but I really don't want to bother you in the middle of the night. I already feel guilty for waking you up-" Erick cuts me off by placing a kiss on my lips, "We're in this together, remember? You want to talk about it? I can sit here and listen to you for the next six hours rather than have the thought bothering me that something is bothering you."

"In the dream, instead of Isabella, someone else who means the world to me, gets hit by the truck." I look away.

"Who?" Erick's finger hooks under my chin.

My eyes meet his, "You, and I was completely broken and destroyed to see you like that-"

"Oh baby, it's okay, don't worry. I'm right here, next to you, whenever you need me. I'm fine, okay?"

"I love you." I peck his cheek and his one arm wraps around my waist while the other one strokes my hair.

I feel secure in his arms and I soon drift off into a dreamless sleep.