"Thank you - I accept your invitation."

"So what do you think?" asked Bingley.

"Of what?"

"Of my future neighbours. Mr. Morris told us all about the prominent families in the area, do you not remember?"

"Remind me one at a time."

"There are two main families, the Lucases and the Bennets. The Lucases reside at Lucas Lodge. The head of the family was made a knight and lives there with his lady and children. The eldest, a daughter by the name of Charlotte Lucas, is twenty seven, rather plain but practical and intelligent. There is another daughter, Maria, pretty but rather empty headed, according to Mr. Morris. There are various other children which he did not talk about."

"And the parents?"

Sir William Lucas is a gentleman, always sees the best in everyone and lavish in his praises. Lady Lucas, said Mr. Morris, is not clever, but I believe she will be as likable as her husband."

I doubt that, thought Darcy, but unwilling to return to the melancholy of his mind, continued the subject. "And the Bennet family?"

"Mr. Morris could not be silent on the subject of this family, so the information he gave is quite extensive."

"And what is so extraordinary about them?"

"The Bennets live at Longbourn, which is about three miles from Netherfield. Mr. Bennet is a man of wit and intelligence and enjoys a good book. Mrs. Bennet has a problem with her nerves; whenever she is rather stressed, she takes to her bed. But she has a good heart and loves her family very much."

"And the children? How many sons and daughters?"

"The Longbourn estate is entailed onto a male relative, which is unfortunate, for the family consists of five daughters. They are reputed to be the jewels of Hertfordshire as they are all very handsome."

"An over exaggeration, no doubt."

"Come man, there has to be some truth in it. Well, the youngest girl, Miss Lydia is a tall fifteen-year old, pretty and good-humoured. Kitty, seventeen, is similar to Lydia to a lesser extent. The third child, Mary is the most accomplished, she studies books, plays the piano and sings."

"Accomplished by country standards, no doubt."

"Elizabeth, age twenty," continued Bingley, ignoring the remark, "is the second most beautiful, dark haired and dark eyed. She has a lively, playful disposition and a very good conversationalist, but can be rather taciturn when in deep thought. Rather like you," said Bingley, looking at his companion.

Darcy ignored this. "And the eldest Miss Bennet?"

"Miss Jane Bennet is the beauty of the family, in form and spirit. She has apparently a sweet and mild disposition and sees good in everyone."

"Much like you, Bingley."

"Yes, like me," said Bingley, smiling.

"Are they all out?"

"I believe so."

"That is quite singular. The eldest are not married and yet the younger sisters are already out."

"Come now Darcy, just because their elder sisters are not married does not mean that the younger girls cannot enjoy society as well."

Darcy made no answer but thought over this information. Despite all of the praises he had heard of the Miss Bennets, he thought the information was exaggerated and not worth his attention.