Chapter 1

NOTICE: this story has been submitted for the Wattys 2020, so votes and comments on every chapter would be much appreciated :)

Racing their horses across the field, Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy halted in sight of Netherfield Park.

"It is a fair prospect," said Bingley to his friend, "though nothing to Pemberley I know. But I must settle somewhere."

Darcy looked at the house and thought about it. Compared to his own home of Pemberley, it was rather dull, and the company around it, from what he had seen on his journey, wasn't worth speaking about either.

"Do I have your approval?" asked Bingley.

Mr. Charles Bingley was like that - he never did anything without his friend's approval. Bingley was easily led and unsure of himself. Because of this trait, Darcy took it upon himself to take care of his friend, even to the extent of ordering his life for him.

"You will find the local company somewhat savage," said Darcy.

"Country manners? I think they're charming."

Apart from being easily led, Bingley had an openness of character and easiness in manner that Darcy envied sometimes. Bingley was determined to be pleased with everything and everyone he saw.

"Then you better take it."

"Thank you. I shall."

The recess over, the race continued. Darcy was first distracted by the fleeting sight of someone standing on the hill watching them, but thought little of it and soon pulled ahead of his friend.

Arriving at the entrance to Netherfield House, they were met by a Mr. Morris, who had shown them the surrounding area that morning, and was now to be their guide for the house.

Darcy was forced to admit that Netherfield was quite a handsome house. The rooms, if rather small, were done up quite nicely and the grounds were acceptable, though he would choose Pemberley over them any time.

After half an hour, Bingley said, "Mr. Morris, I am extremely pleased with Netherfield. I think I shall take it. What say you, Darcy?"

Darcy looked away from the window and back at Bingley.

"If your mind is made up, I think you will do very well."

"And how long will you be renting it for, sir?" asked Mr. Morris.

"Oh, I don't know. I have no fixed plans. But I hope I will stay for quite a while."

"Very good sir."

They left Netherfield and Hertfordshire that evening for London, to inform Bingley's sisters and brother-in-law of their success.

Bingley seemed extremely pleased, and talked of nothing but his hopes for good neighbours, pleasing acquaintances and generally happiness for his time at Netherfield.

Darcy took all this in. His thoughts were on a very different topic, however.

He did not look forward to returning to Pemberley that autumn. No matter how beautiful it was and the company of his sister most delightful, he still felt rather alone. Since Georgiana's near fiasco at Ramsgate, Darcy had become aware, that when Georgiana did marry and leave him, he would be all alone.

Darcy knew that something was missing from his life, but knew not what it was.

"Darcy, would you like to stay with me at Netherfield for a while?" asked Bingley, disturbing his thoughts, "My sisters will be there, as will Hurst."

This invitation was welcome - company, even though Miss Bingley, Mr. and Mrs. Hurst weren't the best companions in the country, would be a relief to the loneliness, that was never far from his heart.