thirty one, divorced, beheaded, survived

Start from the beginning

"Olea," She said, not turning from the window as she rose from her chair and leaned against the window, one hand on the stone wall, to get a better look, "I would very much advise that you remain in my chambers until this... battle is over."

"What battle?" Olea asked with alarm. She shot from the comfort in a flash and was at Lusine's side. She stared through the window in absolute dread. "Oh," She breathed. Her eyes flickered between ships, already calculating casualties.

"Please lock the door after I'm gone and do not open it for anyone but me," Lusine commanded, already making her way to the door.

Olea grabbed her back. "But you're unarmed, unarmoured and your magic... it's..." She trailed off, eyes searching.

"Significantly depleted? Yes. But not entirely gone. Perhaps a little chaos will bring it back with a vengeance." She forced a smile that was utterly flawless in its facade. "Father made sure I was not unarmed before he departed this world for the next."

Lusine held out a hand lined with scars of a woman who had been through too much in too short of a life. Within her palm, the magic shuddered and trembled, but, with time, held firm. From that white magic did not emerge the infamous spear she'd slain many with, but instead a scythe fit for the reaper himself.

Curved to a point sharp enough to slice a man clean in two, the weapon was an ancient one of the Volkov family and had not been wielded for many, many years. Until now. Until the day the Dark Elves came to Asgard.

Lusine held the black staff with a power that thrummed through her veins in a new light. More light than dark, though the weapon was of grim.

"Stay here," She repeated as Olea's hand dropped from her arm and she turned from her cousin to exit the chamber.

When she heard the locks had slid into place, she let herself free fall into that familiar killing calm as she emerged into the Asgardian halls turned into the battle field for the day, awash with bodies and blood.

With the scythe over her shoulder, Lusine rounded the corner and took a look at the bodies upon the floor, a mixture of Asgardians and Dark Elves all fallen for a defining cause.

The sound of approaching beings snapped her gaze up and she locked herself away to let the warrior emerge. A group of three dark elves rounded the corner at the opposing end of the hall. For a brief moment in time, the enemies stared at one another, undecided. Neither moved.

Until Lusine drew in a deep breath and readied her weapon for its first taste of blood in years.

The opponents seemed to take this as their signal to charge as the woman in their way made herself known as a foe. Their masks were a smart move. Rendered them unreadable through many features warriors often used as tell-tale signs of attack.

The elves raised their weapons and fired. Red beams shot past Lusine as she dodged to the side. One tore across her calf, leaving behind a raw, blistering mark. She hissed in pain and cursed herself under her breath for not being lighter on her toes.

Now she knew what to expect, the duel was in full swing as she brought the reach of the scythe around with a grunt to decapitate the leader of the trio who dared challenge the goddess of chaos.

His head thudded to the floor and rolled to the feet of his fellows.

There was not a flavour of anguish for their fallen soldier as they simply stepped over his beheaded corpse and continued their march, blank faces concealed by blank masks.

-