Nightmare- Part 3

You went back to the Miller house alright, but as priests again. You hated the clothing and wished from time to time that you could be yourself and tell everyone the truth instead of having to lie to everyone you come into contact with.

When you rang the doorbell and Max was the one to let you in and you were relieved to see that he didn't die yet. He looked really bad, probably the bags under his eyes helped with the appearance but you thought something was wrong with him.

"My mom's resting, she's pretty wrecked." Max sighed, letting you three in.

"Of course." Dean said in an understanding tone.

"All these people kept coming with like, casseroles? I finally had to tell them all to go away. You know, because nothing says I'm sorry like a tuna casserole." Max said, leaning against a wall. He gestured to the couches in the living room and you took a seat next to Dean and Sam took the single chair next to you.

"How you holding up?" Sam asked Max in a gentle tone.

"Okay, I guess." He shrugged. You noticed he seemed a bit distant. Not be sadness or grief but by another emotion you couldn't quite place.

"Your dad and your uncle were close?" Dean asked.

"Yeah I guess. I mean, they were brothers. They used to hang out all the time when I was little." Max said, not looking at anyone.

"But not lately much?" Sam wondered.

"No, it's not that. It's just.... we used to be neighbors when I was a kid, and we lived across town in this house. Uncle Roger lived next door, so he was over all the time." Max said. You could tell he was holding thing back and wasn't being completely honest.

"Right. So how was it in that house when you were a kid?" You asked him.

"It was fine. Why?" He lied.

"All good memories? Do you remember anything unusual? Something involving your father and your uncle maybe?" Dean asked him.

"What do you.... why do you ask?" Max said, avoiding the question.

"It's just a question." You said, making it look like an innocent question.

"No, there was nothing. We were totally normal. Happy." Max said, looking down. He was lying about what he was talking about.

"Good. That's good. Well, you must be exhausted. We should take off." Dean said, getting up. You followed his direction and you three left to the Impala.

"No one's family is totally normal and happy. See when he was talking about his old house?" Dean said. Apparently, he noticed the way he acted too.

"He sounded scared." You said, crossing your arms.

"Yeah, Max isn't telling us everything. I say we go find the old neighborhood, find out what life was really like for the Millers." Dean said, getting into his car. Dean drove to the old neighborhood and parked when he saw a man working on his lawn. You got out and looked over at Dean and Sam who gave each other looks but kept quiet.

"Have you lived in the neighborhood very long?" Sam asked the man who stopped working.

"Yeah, almost 20 years now. It's nice and quiet. Why, you looking to buy?" He turned to look at you and the brothers.

"No, no, actually, we were wondering if you might recall a family that used to live right across the street I believe." You asked him, not saying the Miller's name.

"Yeah the Millers. They had a little boy called Max," The man said. "Yeah I remember. The brother had the place next door. So, uh, what's this about, is that poor kid ok?"