Scarecrow- Part 1

The one thing that's worse than an absentee father, is an absentee father who calls you in the middle of the night. You've called John countless of times before and got not one word from him and now he decides to call you in the middle of the night?

Why didn't he call when Mary was the sole focus of one of your cases? You would think after spending all this time hunting the thing that killed her, he would have the decency to show up to face at least something.

"Y/N? Is that you?" John asked after not hearing your voice.

"John, are you hurt? Are you okay?" You asked in a hushed whisper. You wondered if the only reason he was calling was because he was hurt. You didn't want to wake the boys just in case this was a pointless call.

"I'm fine," John said simply.

"Then where the hell were you? We called you over and over again when we needed you. Your sons needed you and you never called or even showed. This makes me question just what kind of father you really are. Plus, I have some unanswered questions about my mom. Don't try to deny it, John, I know you knew her. Even after you told me you didn't."

"Y/N, I wanted to tell you but there are other things that are more important than this right now. Are Dean and Sam alright? Are you?" You sighed, knowing that things were more important and he wouldn't call if it wasn't important. You got up and you walked over to the boys' bed and slapped them in the arm, a for sure way of waking them up. Dean coughed a bit and he turned his head slightly to you.

"Y/N, what the hell? What time is it?" Dean groaned. You heard Sam groan from the other bed and he got up, wiping his face with his hand.

"What's going on?" Sam asked.

"John, where are you?" You looked at the boys and saw them perk up at their father's name.

"Is that my dad?" Dean and Sam were wide awake now. You nodded but listened to what John said.

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that." John sighed.

"What? Why not?" You wondered, furrowing your brows.

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just going to have to trust me on this."

"Like hell, I will. You didn't show up at all when we called and now suddenly, you're calling us and you're going to pretend that everything is okay?" You were starting to get pissed. Sam reached out for the phone to talk to his dad but you swatted him away because you weren't finished. "No, you tell me where you are and we can... You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mary."

"Yeah. It's a demon, Y/N." John sighed.

"A demon? You know for sure?" You asked.

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asked, frustrated.

"I do. Listen, Y/N, I, uh... Tell Sam I also know what happened to his girlfriend. I'm so sorry. I would've done anything to protect him from that." You looked at Sam and sighed softly.

"He knows what happened to Jessica and he's sorry he couldn't protect you from that." You said to Sam. You saw his gaze drop a bit and you listened to John who kept speaking.

"Anyways, I know where it is and I think I'm finally closing in on it."

"Let us help." You pleaded.

"You can't, you can't be any part of it." John sighed.

"Why not? What makes you the only qualified person to fight this thing? I may not have ever known Mary but she was important so let us help." You said.