fireworks

"Stop the truck," Tobias demanded.

His voice was so strong and powerful that it made Amar slam on the brakes. Tobias looked to the side mirror and the Bureau of Genetic Welfare was a speck in the distance. Peter and Christina cursed from the back seats, palming the cushions that were in front of them as their bodies were thrust forward. Tobias flicked up the lock of his car, unlatching his seat belt from around his chest. He angled his body back to Amar and opened the car door.

"I need to go back."

"What?" Amar furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean I need to go back?"

"There's no time to explain," Tobias said, jumping out of the truck. "Make sure you inoculate Zeke and his mother, and get everything else done. I need to go back."

Amar opened his mouth, readying to say something, but Tobias was already running. He pushed his legs faster each minute, until the Bureau got closer and he could see the fences that guarded the buildings. He didn't look back to the truck headed to Chicago but instead forward, toward where his Tris would sacrifice herself.

It was her brother's job to walk into the Weapon's lab and shut down the plan to wipe the memory of everyone in Chicago. Tris would be going with him, delivering him and making sure no guard would attack him. Of course she would take Caleb's place--feel like that was the best thing she could do. Tris would feel as if it was what her parents would do, and she would put aside everything that Caleb has done to save him.

He needed to get to her. If she died, if somehow the death serum could break through her mind and her Divergence, it would destroy him. It would ruin him.

So Tobias pushed. He pushed through every ache that went through his legs. He ran even through the struggle of his lungs to create oxygen. His goal was Tris. And with her, he never stopped until she was with him, by his side.

The compound was in shambles when Tobias arrived. Guards that were usually stationed at the gates were gone and a loud alarm blinks red on every wall, letting out a piercing cry. No one seemed to notice him but Tobias didn't pull his gun out of his jeans, careful not to be attacked himself, if someone did turn their eye on him. His feet seemed to lead him to the place of target without Tobias thinking much about it. He saw Caleb there, slumped against a wall. As Tobias walked closer, Caleb lifted his head. His eyes were red-rimmed.

"You're too late," he choked. "She already went in a few minutes ago.

"Bullshit."

She wasn't dead. His Tris was stronger than that. Even if the serum aiming to kill her had been released, her body and mind would fight until they couldn't.

When Tobias stepped to the lab, Caleb said, "You need the suit, Four."

"I don't give a shit about the suit."

All he cared about was Tris.

As he stepped closer, the mumble of voices made him worried. Who else would be in there?

Tobias got the answer when he turned the corner, shoving open the doors of the Weapon's lab.

David, sitting in his wheelchair, glanced behind his shoulder slowly. His eyes directed away from Tris gave her time to step to the number pad that would stop the memory serum from exiting the tanks. David turned back to Tris, quickly, and Tris's eyes went to Tobias.

Tobias looked to Tris, into her eyes, and saw that she was terrified.

Right as David turned, he dragged a gun out of his pocket.

"If I were you, I wouldn't do that." David said. "Perhaps you and Tobias will die together. What an heroic death, on the same day by the same way. Towards the same goal. Just like your parents." He stepped toward Tris and the movement made Tobias step to him, eyes staying on Tris. He didn't like the gun that was hanging from David's hand. He didn't like that Tris stood only a few feet away from David.