tomorrow pt. 2

Zeke nodded, "Yeah, Four told me the other night that he was watching that game and that play was so not safe--"

"Four's in town?"

All of the people around the table at the downtown diner they decided to meet looked up to Tris. She hadn't talked the whole lunch so far, or with that much tone to her voice ever since the person of subject had broken up with her, after the traumatic night all those months ago. She spoke with an edge to her voice, not with any enthusiasm, because she still hated the man for what he had done--despised him for it.

But now, the summer after Tris's senior year, Tobias was supposedly back in town; a place Tris hoped he wouldn't be before she had time to go away to college.

"You didn't pay attention when we set up these plans?" Zeke questioned back to her. "He's supposed to be coming. I thought you knew."

"Did you actually think I would come if he was coming?" Tris shot back, words now full with anger. She looked around to her friends, "Why didn't anyone make sure?"

"We thought you knew, Tris. A bunch of us also mentioned it but you are always so busy in that mind of yours." Christina held pity in her eyes that Tris hated. "You never pay attention anymore."

"So make me pay attention." Tris looked around the diner, looking outside and seeing if she could get a clean getaway. "This is bullshit. You--all of you--know how I am with this." Standing up and slamming the napkin she had sat on her lap to the table, Tris grabbed her wallet and phone, stepping away. "I'll see you later."

Her face was heated--from both the anger and the use of a raised voice, and Tris walked fast to the front of the building, pushing open the door as soon as she reached it. Her blind panic caused her not to watch out for the other person who had begun to walk into the restaurant. They had caught the handle in their hand as Tris threw it open. Not even glancing up to them, Tris mumbled an apology and went to continue to her car.

Tobias was in town. Tobias, who had broken her heart after it had been cracked from watching the exchange between the love of her life and his father. Tobias, who hadn't told her he loved her back before leaving her room on that awful morning of crying for an hour before school. The day was awful, with everyone asking why her eyes were so red or why she wasn't with Tobias. Tobias, Zeke, and Shauna had sat at a whole different table, which brought up whispers also, because what would cause the golden couple to fall?

Leaving her that morning had shattered her heart, and Tobias thought he could just waltz back into town and everything would be okay.

"Tris?"

She knew that voice. It was the one that filled her nightmares, and her dreams. The one that always used to tell her how much he loved her, the voice that spoke the praises as he worshipped her body.

Tris lifted her head. She didn't have to glance back fully, to see the handsome face belonging to the beautiful boy standing there.

"Leave me alone, Tobias."

And this time, Tris was the one who walked away.

Even if tears formed in her eyes, falling down her cheeks as she did so.

+++

It was only an hour and forty five minutes later, though, when there were hurried knocks on the front door of her house. Tris looked up to it from the television screen, staring at it as the possibility of who it was went through her head before it was pushed out fast. Her mother ended up answering it, opening it wide and Tris braced herself for the greeting.