you're home

He always left his bed sheets undone.

There was never a day where they would be perfect, without one wrinkle in the soft material. This was because of one thing and one thing only: he always was busy.

He never had time to make his bed. He ran late almost every day, woke up late even more than that. So bothering to make his bed was not one of his options, or even in his mind as he got ready. He was always pacing around, throwing on a button-up shirt and pair of slacks as he brushed his hair and teeth. But the bed was always unmade.

Until the day where he came home from work and it wasn't.

Tobias first walked in to find Natalie and Christina, his fiancée's mother and best friend, sitting at the table in the kitchen. He didn't invite them to come over, didn't know why they would be sitting in his kitchen. Setting his computer bag down onto the ground, he raised his eyebrows as he opened the fridge.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned the both of them, getting out the orange juice bottle.

"We had to drop something off," Christina tried to hide the grin on her face, though she wasn't quite successful. "Then we thought we would stay and see how you're doing."

As he shrugged his shoulders, Tobias eyed the two woman over the brim of his cup. "I'm fine," he said lowly. "What did you need to drop off?"

Again, that small grin from Christina. "Nothing special," she said. "What are you cooking for dinner? Could we stay?"

The suspicion began to raise in Tobias as he furrowed his eyebrows tighter. They never asked if they could stay before for dinner, not since his fiancée had left, at least. There were times that he was invited to go over to their houses, but never to his.

"Uh, I was thinking about pasta." Tobias set his glass down, "You can stay. I'm just going to go change."

He walked into his room, a sigh slipping through his lips. Maybe because he had lived alone for so long, almost seven years, he hadn't been so used to cooking for more than one. Not caring to think another second, Tobias looked around the perimeter of the room. Though, something was different.

The covers fixed neatly on the bed.

They were tight enough that if you dropped a penny right in the middle, they wouldn't wrinkle. It made him think of his fiancée, who was out at war. She always tucked their bedsheets in tight. When she was in training, the Sargeant always did that to their beds and if it wrinkled, the soldiers-in-training would have to make their beds again. So, his fiancée had gotten used to doing that every morning.

But, his fiancée was out at war and without her, he lived alone. Who could've possibly bothered to make his bed?

Furrowing his eyebrows, Tobias looked around the room, sighing. Maybe he forgot that he made the bed this morning. Maybe, for once he had time.

But he never had time to make the sheets that tight.

"I kind of thought you could've kept our home together while I was gone. Guess I shouldn't have trusted you."

Turning around fast, Tobias stood wide-eyed at the young woman that was standing in the doorway of the bathroom. She still stood in her military uniform, but her blonde and long hair flowed around her shoulders

It took him a moment to run forward, not being able to comprehend that she was here and she was with him. When he did stride the feet that was separating the two, his fiancée lifted her arms, moving them around Tobias's neck as he picked her up. Tobias stuck his head into her neck, breathing in the scent that he classified as home, as Tris.

"God, I've missed you so much," Tobias could feel little tears dropping against his neck, where Tris had her head. "Don't ever leave me again."

"I'm not going to." Tris breathed hot and the breath fanned across Tobias's skin. "We're going to get married and," Tris pulled away, slipping her hands to hold Tobias's face, "we are going to try for the child that we've wanted for a while."

With one hand held still around her back, Tobias brought his other hand up to pull a piece of hair from Tris's face. "I love you," Tobias said. "I love you so much."

Only a moment later did their lips collide, a kiss that held the yearning of the seven years apart. Sometime during it, Tobias let Tris back onto her feet but kept his arms around her. He felt her keep her hands around his neck, even having to stand on her toes to do so.

"We'll come back later on!" Christina yelled from the kitchen. "You two kids have fun!"

All Tris did was laugh against Tobias's lips as they fell on top of the bed.