nightmares

They were in Erudite again.

It was that room with the white walls and the white ceiling, and laying on the bed was her. Tris.

She was so pale and she looked so tired. The image of her was horrifying, yet he felt so relieved she was even alive. There were restraints around her wrists and ankles, keeping her to the bed.

Jeanine asked him a question, something that was blurred as Tobias only watched Tris struggle against the bands. The grip that the guards had on Tobias's arms increased when he didn't answer the questions. The grunt of pain and even though she layed on her back, Tobias saw Tris move her eyes to try and look at him.

After Tobias didn't answer, he watched Jeanine bring a needle filled with a purple liquid. The sight of it made Tobias's eyes widen and he pulled away from the hands that held his arms. One of the guards pulled him back once again, punching a hand to Tobias's face to weaken him.

Tobias knew what serum that was. Tobias knew what it would do to the girl laying on the table, to the girl he loved.

"Tris, no--"

The words were clear as Jeanine turned to look with her hard, cold, gray eyes to Tobias. Against his restraints, Tobias tried to move forward, to get to Tris before the serum killed her.

Though, maybe Tris could refuse the serum. She was divergent and Tobias had a feeling she had survived the serum before.

"You have five seconds," Jeanine stated, her voice stern as she held the needle by Tris's neck. Across the table, Peter was holding Tris's head to the side, prohibiting her from moving her neck.

Tobias pulled against the holds on his arms again, ignoring the way that Tris sucked in a breath when the needle touched her skin.

"Four."

Tobias mumbled Tris's name, giving up on moving away.

"Three."

Tobias shut his eyes quickly, shaking his head. "Stop! Stop!--"

"Two."

Tobias pulled forward, finding he was finally able to move forward. "I told you to . . ."

By the time Tobias reached the bed, the needle was piercing the vein on the side of Tris's neck. Everything disappeared from around the two; the guards and Peter there one second and then gone another. There was a gun shot and Jeanine fell backward with the bullet in her forehead.

Tris still had her mouth open from when the needle broke her skin. Tobias grabbed her hand and when he tried to say something, no words passed his lips.

He couldn't say goodbye.

Slowly, Tris's eyes started to close. Her stiff stance weakened and she closed her eyes at last.

The sound of a dead heartbeat filled his ears as the vision faded.

+++

Tobias woke with a start. His hair felt sweaty across his forehead and he brushed a hand across his face, placing his head into his hands.

Not real, not real, not real.

With a light touch to his bare back, Tobias jumped just an inch. He lifted his head, looking to his left as he slowly opened his eyes.

Tobias breathed deeply as he looked at Tris. She smiled small, rubbing her hand around the spot she had it on his back.

"It's okay," she mumbled. "Whatever it was, Tobias, it's over now."