unbroken

"How was wedding planning?"

Tris shut her eyes tightly as she realized her fiancé still awake in the next room. She hoped that since it was so late he would've gone to bed, and she could avoid this whole conversation. But the television played with low volume and Tobias laid on the couch, a blanket over him, wide awake. Waiting for her to get home safe.

She smelled like hospital. Tris needed to get out of these clothes, shower, and drown in the water. Maybe she could bathe and it would push the subject away for that night. Her skin felt wrong, her mind felt wrong, she felt wrong.

Would Tobias still want to marry her? Still want to love her?

Tobias reached for the multiple articles in Tris's arms, what Christina and her mom helped her go through and organize, wanting to see the choices. When Tris first started planning with her maid of honor to-be and mother, he said he didn't care what they'd do, only that he would be standing at the end of the aisle as Tris walked down to him. He still looked at the plans, what catering companies they were looking for and the flowers for the bride and bridesmaids, to look at the hard work Tris spent doing. But, his goal was never to change anything. All he wanted to do was marry her.

Would that still be true, after she told him what she needed to?

Tris handed him every catalog except the dresses one, and then flipped to a page in her notebook and handed that to him also. She leaned to kiss him, pulling away quickly so he wouldn't get the scent of sterile the hospital carried. She couldn't deal with his questions on to why she smelled so, couldn't deal at that moment with him freaking and demanding what was wrong.

"I'm going to go shower," Tris said, walking into their room that was downstairs. When they had bought the design, they said that they could guard all the danger that came to the house, before it reached their children who would've later gone in the four rooms upstairs.

Children.

Tris shivered at the thought. She peeled off her shirt, the material sticking to her skin with stress and anxiety filled sweat. Starting the shower, Tris began to unroll the many folds in the jeans her best friend was forced to give her. The shirt she had just taken off was Will's. Tobias hadn't noticed her wardrobe change before she went to shower; good. How would've she explained that without going into anything?

Yeah, I bled right through my jeans. My shirt was covered in throw up because once I found out, I had vomited. But everything's completely fine.

At least she knew now why her monthly period had been so heavy every month, the pain staying for hours even when she took medication. At least she knew why it was so painful when her and Tobias made love, why they never got pregnant if they just happened to forget protection. Now, she knew why, in the recent months, she had gotten dizzying spells and times when she couldn't read properly.

When she was out with her mother and best friend, the symptoms came fast. Her period had just started that morning after two full weeks of having it. There were days when she was fine, although getting sick in the mornings, three days exactly separating the two cycles, before she saw it had started yet again. She should've gone to a doctor then, should've brought Tobias with her. Instead she went on with her day, hanging out with Christina as their husbands worked, talking about the wedding. Natalie had joined them that night, going to dinner with them and helping with the plans.

But as Tris got up from the dinner booth, the dizziness had hit her so hard she went falling. People looked, some even showing wide eyes and dropped jaws as Tris fell. Christina moved from where she stood, kneeling to catch Tris's body before her head knocked onto the floor. Her mother gasped, trying to move out fast but falling short with a glance to where Tris was sitting.