Role Reversal #1

"First jumper, Tobias!"

People in black and red clothing--Dauntless--stood in the path of a bus on the roads. Tobias sprinted to catch up with the back of the crowd and the feeling was unusual, but it felt good. It was always discouraged in Abnegation. A part of Tobias felt like he was betraying the rules of the faction he was born in, the faction he was leaving. Tobias heard a familiar sound as the group of Dauntless continued to run and sprint down the streets--the horn of a train.

"Oh no," a boy dressed in Erudite blue mumbled next to him. "Are we supposed to hop on that thing?"

Tobias merely glanced to him as he saw the train get closer. "Yes," he said, breathless.

The Dauntless, who are already trained at jumping onto the train, follow in regular precedure. The crowd forms a long line. A moment later, the train slides past the group, gliding easily along the tracks; the horn blaring, the lights flashing. The doors of every car are already opened, welcoming the oncoming Dauntless members.

Tobias started to jog again, stepping forward with a few other initiates. They jogged for a few, jumping on the sideways. Almost instantly, Tobias grabbed a hold of a handle next to one of the doors. His shoulder slammed into the car, and it only stung for a bit before a Dauntless took hold of his arm and helped him inside.

As Tobias was about to thank him, there was a shout. Tobias looked over his shoulder to see an Erudite boy with red hair, struggling to get the train. A girl, dressed in the same color clothing reached out to get him, straining. But, the boy was too far. He fell to his knees beside the tracks as the train zoomed away.

Something stirred in Tobias's stomach. That boy didn't even make it to Dauntless. They already failed initiation. They would be Factionless.

"You all right?" The Erudite boy who helped him in the train asked. He was a around the same height asTobias, but not by much. An easy and small smile hung from his face and his green eyes shone

Tobias nodded, "Yes."

"I'm Eric," he held out his hand.

Tobias glanced to it. He hasn't done much of the action. Abnegation usually greeted one another by bowing their heads, a sign of respect. But, Tobias had to leave Abnegation behind. Even if it was one of his aptitudes. Tobias took Eric's hand, shaking it twice before letting it go.

"Tobias," Tobias said.

Soon, Tobias went to lean against a wall as he sat down. The train was moving fast, which meant wind. Eric followed the action, already knowing wind meant falling out.

Over his shoulder, orange light from the sunset reflected off the glass buildings and Tobias saw the gray houses that used to be his home.

It was his sister's, Kayla, night to make dinner. Tobias wondered who would take her place--his father or mother? When they cleared out her room, what would they discover? Books, jammed in every corner of the room, was what Tobias imagined. Knowledge--what kept the Erudite going. It would fill the empty places of her room.

Did his sister always know she wanted to be Erudite? How did Tobias not notice, if Kayla did know?

What a good actress she must have been. The thought made Tobias's stomach turn. But, even if he left his parents also, at least he didn't pretend. At least he didn't act as if he was selfless, even when he wasn't.

The wind rushed against his face and Tobias closed his eyes. He saw his parents sitting at the dining table, alone in silence. Was it a hint of selflessness that made his throat tighten at the thought, or was it selfishness, because he knew he would never be their son again?