in another life pt. 2

"He was. . .beautiful--handsome, mother. And I fell in love with him."

"I miss him dearly. But I know I will never see him again."

"I will have to learn to fall in love with a different man. Although I do not know if one will any better than him. But before I do, I will not marry."

"Tobias. His name was Tobias Eaton."

"Your Royal Highness."

Quickly, Beatrice straightened her legs and stood up, facing the guard that stood in her doorway. She wiped at under her eyes, turning away from the man but not once seeing pity flash through his eyes. No one other than her parents knew what had happened at the Coulter palace, except that there was a minor disagreement and now, King Eric Coulter of Dauntless was married to a princess from Candor.

But, just the fact of nobody knowing about her scandal with Tobias didn't stop her from showing emotion.

The guard waited until Beatrice was calm--ready to hear the information, a small smile on his face. "There are men and women already arriving for the ball tonight. Would you like to meet with them or wait, my lady?"

"Have them directed straight to their chambers. Me and my parents have already assigned each to their rooms and picked one servant for each." Beatrice turned back to the window, watching the carriages arrive. "I will meet with them at the party."

"Yes, Princess."

Leaving the room and shutting the chamber doors behind him, the guard was gone. Beatrice continue to stare into the window, out into the horizon. She lifted a hand to her mouth, held it there, and let out a low sob.

+++

"My--you look magnificent, my lady." A wide smile was on the maid's face as she looked at Beatrice. Susan waved her hand in a circular motion, telling Beatrice to twirl, and laughing when she did so. "That dress couldn't fit anyone else any better than you, Your Royal Highness."

"Oh, come on, Susan," Beatrice breathed. The whole idea of everything happening in just a hour was overwhelming. To find a husband; that was the point of the ball. "I told you to call me Beatrice."

Her mother had given her the time she needed. It had been four months since she had returned in the horse-drawn carriage to her home. She had held in her tears as she walked to the front doors, breaking down once she had reached the throne room, and her parents had commanded everyone to leave. That was when her mother had gathered her in her arms, and every single word from what happened in Dauntless--with Tobias and Eric--had left her mouth in a frenzy. The makeup on her face had already been ruined in her goodbyes to Tobias, and it just messed up more once tears were falling down her cheeks.

Natalie had only told Beatrice that she couldn't see the boy again--not for a while. Beatrice arranged the ball a month ago because she didn't want to risk anything. Tobias was gone, probably not even a guard at Dauntless anymore, probably not on the continent of Chicago probably in love with a different woman. She couldn't interrupt his life, send guards looking for him.

But, her mother had promised her that they could wait. She was only twenty years old, anyways, and it would be a little over a year before she would be coronated to queen. Natalie had told her that she could start her reign without a significant other. Four months had been enough for Beatrice to find another person. Even if Tobias was the love of her life.

"Sweetheart, the party is starting." Natalie, Beatrice's mother, walked into the room, pausing at the door and smiling. "You are, so beautiful, my Beatrice. Anyone, woman or man, will be falling at your feet."