Role Reversal #10

"I might be in love with you."

The day was over for now, but chaos would start again in the morning. With the sun setting in the horizon, a orange glow on the city, it displayed peace on the evening of a day full of death and war.

"My parents," Tobias speaks softly, breaking the silence of the train. "They died today."

In the background, his sister leans her head against the train, her eyes closing. The tears that slip down her cheeks say that she heard the statement. On his lap with her legs to either side of him, his girlfriend leans her head on his shoulder.

"They died for me," Tobias says again. Something about the statement acts like it is confirming something, although it does not feel real.

Tris places a hand on the left side of Tobias's neck, pressing a whisper of a kiss to the spot her head was laying by. "They loved you," she replies, her voice light. "To them there was no better way to show you."

As he bowed his head forward, Tobias nodded. For minutes, they were both quiet, and then Tris was speaking again.

"You nearly died today," she said. "I almost shot you. Why didn't you shoot me, Tobias?"

"I couldn't have done that," Tobias ran a hand over the bottom of Tris's back. "It would have been like shooting myself."

Tris picked her head up, moving her hand to nudge Tobias's head up softly. She leans so their lips are brushing when she talks. "I have something to tell you," she claims.

Tobias looked away once, to the passing land, before his eyes trailed back to her.

"I might be in love with you," Tris said, a small smile on her lips. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."

There is a grin on Tobias's face also. "That's sensible of you," he teases. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."

Tris rubs her fingers along Tobias's jaw, looking up to him with a laugh passing her lips. "Maybe I'm already sure," she told, "and I just don't want to frighten you away."

Raising his eyebrows, Tobias whispers, "Then you should know better."

Mirroring his expression, Tris moved both of her hands to clasp Tobias's next with a soft hold. "Fine," she said. "The I love you."

She reached up to kiss him, the kiss full of trust as the train slides into land that they have never been before. They kiss for as long as they want, almost longer than they should because of his sister and her father sitting in the train.

They kiss because it is only each other that they have for now. It is only each other that they have for comfort before everything will start again.

And the war will resume.