past tense

Tobias rubbed the back of his neck, glancing anywhere but her eyes. "The weight of this past war has been big on us both. You know we started dating a week before it happened and our relationship has been built over this battle." As he said the next words, his eyes floated to hers. "I feel like we should take a break, so we can get through the burdens for a while by ourselves. So we won't have this relationship to think about."

He didn't try touching her, didn't try looking compassionate as he broke up with her. Eyes dark, Tobias moved closer to the door of the dormitory. "Yeah, I think we need a break."

"Are you going to let me agree or disagree?" Tris sat on her cot, her hands folding in front of her on her lap. She didn't know where the decision came from, didn't know what she had done that showed Tobias she didn't need him or this relationship at the moment.

"No," another step toward the door, "No. I'm sorry, Tris. It's not you or me, it's just that this relationship includes both of us thinking through our problems."

"We do that together," Tris stood from her bed. "We've always done that together; thought about our problems and burdens. It makes it better, for both of us."

"I'm sorry," Tobias winced as his hand touched the doorknob. "I can't do this anymore. We're over, Tris."

With the last words, Tobias threw open the dormitory door and walked out. Tris stared after him, the wooden door shutting before she could shout a response. Tris looked to the left, where a mindless and thoughtless Peter sat on his bed. His green eyes were wide, not expecting what had just gone on. Tris wondered why Tobias had broke up with her when he was in there, didn't bring her somewhere private where no one was or nobody could walk in.

Tris twisted, brushing her hair back with her hands and kicking the cot that was sitting closer to hers, the bed that Tobias slept in. She remembered how they had pushed it closer so as they slept they could hold hands, could feel safe and connected since they could not sleep together. As she glanced up again, Peter winced as his body became stiff.

So, Tris gathered her things. She picked up her tablet, her night clothes, and the picture that her mother stood in. Peter didn't comment as she walked across the room and claimed another bed as hers.

Because her boyfriend had broken up with her, and the little distance caused by that would bring more distance caused by the room that separated them.

2 and a half Years Later

She walked alone, which was what she mostly did now a days. After they had all moved back to Chicago, Tris moved into a small Abnegation house, neighboring a lot of the faction survivors. Going back to Dauntless, living underground when it was vital for her to see the sun each day, wasn't right. It didn't feel right anymore. Especially when there was a chance she would bump into her ex boyfriend.

Technicians fixed the electricty in the Abnegation village. Living there was as if living in a regular house, without the selfless needs. Caleb went to Erudite, along with Cara and Matthew. Uriah, who had woken up not long after the war ended, Zeke, Tobias, Shauna, and Christina all moved to Dauntless. Nobody has heard from Peter ever since they all departed ways.

Still now, Tris risked seeing Tobias as she walked out in town. She risked seeing her old friends, who hadn't paid her much visits. Except Uriah, who had made it his every day task to check on his friend. Christina had started avoiding her a year ago.

The world is renewed again. There are no more factions, people wearing mixed colors of clothing, much like the Factionless. Children appear ever month, it seems like, more and more woman getting pregnant.