tomorrow

Get your tissues. This is a sad one. I apologize in advance.

+++

"I will kill you." Marcus hissed, lips held back in a sneer. His hand clutched the belt that hadn't yet touched or harmed the cowering boy behind Tris. She had stood up at the last moment, when the door of his bedroom was slammed open. "Get out of my way."

"Don't hurt him," Tris said. The sight of the leather belt scared her yet her voice was stable as she faced the man. "I'll call the police. Don't you think I'm kidding."

"Don't you think I'm kidding, either, girl," he said. "I will kill you. My own fearful son won't even get up to protect you."

It was that moment that there was a rustle on the blankets behind her, and Tris clenched her hands into fists as Tobias blocked her body with his. He subtly handed Tris's phone to her, knowing his father was too drunk to realize the action, and Tris slowly clicked on the phone icon and typed in the three numbers.

"Too scared the girl you love will die at the hands of mine?" The alcohol on his breath breathed onto Tobias's face and their closeness only added more fear to Tris. She knew her boyfriend was abused by her father, but had never seen him be whipped. The sight would for sure break her heart to pieces. Marcus wouldn't in front of her. . .right? "Just like your bitch of a mother."

"You need to leave, so that I can get her out." Tobias said. His voice had a tremor to it and it made Tris worried. There were rare times when Tobias's voice shook and Tris had known him his whole life. "What would the Priors do if they found you had killed their daughter?"

"Nine-one-one, what is your emergency?"

Tris's voice was low as she spoke into the phone. Marcus couldn't hear her, or Lord knows what he would do. "Police."

"What is happening, ma'am?"

"You think I care what they'd do?" Marcus was saying again, voice rising.

Tris bit her lips hard, going back to the phone and saying, "We need the police. Please. My boyfriend's dad is--he's not in the right mind."

"Hey! Hey, are you on the phone? I'm going to kill you!"

Tobias grunted and Tris flinched as she looked up to see Marcus hit the wall. "The address is--we're at 102 Abnegation Lane."

"Stay on the phone with me. Okay? We're sending reinforcements right now. Stay on the phone."

"Get off the damn phone!" Marcus came back, arm raised with the belt in hand and Tris squeezed her eyes shut as Tobias stepped in front her, yet again, accepting the hit meant for Tris. The intake of air through Tobias's teeth because of the pain startled Tris, and the phone dropped to the carpet.

"Tobias--"

"I'm fine, Tris."

But then the belt was going up in the air again, and Tris stepped forward, slipping fast around Tobias and holding up an arm to redirect the aim. It snapped around her forearm, ripping through the thin fabric of her shirt and leaving a burn. It wasn't like any sting or pain she had ever felt, even after breaking her leg a few years ago. Tris twisted her arm, trying to pull at the weapon. But Marcus tugged harder, pulling Tris when her hand connected with the belt and throwing her to the opposite wall with the force.

Her back hit the wall, head hitting the hard surface. Her sight became blurry and she saw stars everywhere she looked, a slight ringing starting in her ears. She barely saw when Tobias was hit again, barely heard when the sirens came close, and tears dropped from her eyes as she saw Tobias punched down to his knees. His father readied to whip him again,