kidnapped

"Is this Beatrice Prior?"

The twenty year old pulled her young daughter off from her leg as she answered the phone. A moment later, she handed the three year old goldfish crackers in a small rubber bowl.

"Please, call me Tris." She said as she followed her daughter to the couch. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Yes, we are calling from the local police station. We are at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center and we believe that--"

"Mama!"

"Mama's on the phone," Tris pulled away from the girl's reaching hands and put the phone back to her phone. "I'm sorry?"

"Ma'am," the police officer said, "we found Tobias Eaton?"

Tris almost dropped her phone as she heard the words. She had almost lost hope; it's been three years since he went missing. Even the police was about to stop looking. They couldn't find him anywhere.

Once Tris gained her voice again, she spoke into the phone again. "Is he there--Is he there, now?"

Tris could hear the small smile that the police officer had on his face through his voice. "Yes, ma'am, he's here right now."

The two quickly said goodbye and Tris turned off the television and turned toward her daughter. "Let's go see Dada," Tris exclaimed lightly.

"Dada!"

Though the little girl didn't know much about her father, it didn't stop her mother from talking much about him. She had hope that Tobias was out there and Tris wanted to keep that hope.

It was good she didn't lose it fully.

+++

Tris walked into the hospital, her daughter in her arms as she walked to the front desk. A teddy bear was in the child's arms and Tris was glad that she had grabbed it last minute. Her daughter would've been horrific on the ride there.

Let's just say, the daughter had inherited her father's secret upbeat personality that he only showed at times.

Right as Tris was about to speak, a policeman walked up to her. He had a cup of coffee or hot chocolate in his hands as he held a hand out to Tris.

"Are you Tris?" He questioned, a light smile on his face.

As they backed away from the counter, Tris carefully held her hand out, shaking the officer's. Soon after, she returned it to under her daughter's leg so the child wouldn't fall. Then, she proceeded to follow the officer onto an elevator.

"I'm Officer Jones," the policeman said as he smiled. "Tobias was found in the woods next to the highway. We were glad to find him so quick, unless he would have died." The elevator dinged as they reached the designated floor, "We brought him here as soon as we found him and then called you."

Tris's daughter laid her head on Tris's shoulder with the teddy bear snuggled close under her chin. The three walked in silence before they stopped.

Tris looked up from where she had been looking at her feet. Her gaze went into the room via the window as Officer Jones knocked on the door, opening it a moment later.

Slowly, Tris walked into the room also. For this day, she had always prepared herself for what she would see. But, even if she did prepare herself, she wasn't really ready.