crash my party

"I could be on the front row of the best show.
And look down and see your face on my phone.
And I'm gone so long, hang on. I'll meet you in a minute or two."

- Crash My Party; Luke Bryan

•••

The loud music of Imagine Dragons played on the stereos. People crowded in the house that Zeke and his brother Uriah lived in. They had been hosting this party for a few hours, and it would go in well into the night.

As a game of Dare went on in the middle of the room, Tobias Eaton sat on a brown couch with a red solo cup in his hand. His phone was gripped in his other hand and he kept looking down to it every few seconds.

His best friend was worrying him. She wasn't answering his phone calls or text messages.

At school just that morning, Zeke was almost ready to drag Tobias to his house for the party. He didn't want to go, and wasn't going to go now that his friend was not answering. She also hadn't been at school, so the fact that she was missing made him scared . . . a lot.

He ignored the calls from people telling him to join the game as he treaded back up the stairs to the drinks. Tobias left his phone on the couch, suspecting that if he only left to get a drink and his girl friend was not talking to him, she wouldn't call in that moment.

But, she did.

Tobias was filling his glass up when Zeke shouted up from the stairs, "Four, Tris is calling you!"

Cat calls began as his eyes widened and he left his drink on the table, his heavy feet pounding against the wooden stairs. Zeke, who was patiently waiting with the phone held out, was drunkenly smirking. "And she finally calls," he drawled.

When Tobias reached him, he grabbed his phone and slid his thumb on the bottom button to answer. As he held the phone up to his ear, low cries filled the speaker. It was as if the other people in the room heard, their smirks and teasing stopped.

"Tris?" Tobias was saying, "Tris, what's wrong?"

The girl on the other side of the phone took shaky breaths, sniffling. "I-I'm sorry I wasn't at school today or I haven't answered you." She coughed, and the noise seemed rough. "Caleb and my parents were in a wreck. My dad and Caleb are dead. There is a low percent my mom will make it."

Tris continued to cry, her heartwrenching sobs making Tobias move back up the stairs and out of the house. "Tris, shh," He hopped into his car, shoving his keys into the ignition. "It's okay. It's okay.--"

"It's not okay, Tobias!" She almost screamed the words. "I'm only sixteen with no guardian. I already heard the police talking that I'm going to need to go to a foster home."

Fast, Tobias pulled out of the driveway, his eyebrows furrowed with his mouth hanging open. "Where are you, Tris?" He asked, "Tell me where you are. I'm on my way."

"The hospital," she responded, still crying. "Please come quickly, Tobias."

+++

His arms went around his best friend as soon as he reached her in the hospital. Tris started to cry again as she was enclosed to his chest. Tobias hated the sound, has always hated it. As Tris laid her head against the side of his neck, Tobias pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"The social worker is over there," Tris murmured, sniffling. Her hand gripped his shirt, "I have no where to go."

"Maybe Hana could take you in," Tobias said, pulling away. His hands moved to hold his friend's face. "Hana and your mother were good friends. You're friends with Uriah. Maybe, you could live with them until your mom wakes up."

Her dark gray eyes were trailed on the two police across the waiting room, speaking with the dark haired and skinned social worker. "If she wakes up," Tris pursed her lips. "Just because Hana is friends with my mom doesn't mean she'll take me in. They'll take me to a foster home, Tobias."

"I'm not going to let that happen." His words were soft yet stern; a promise. "I'm not. If Hana doesn't take you in, which I doubt will happen, then maybe I could ask my mom--"

"Evelyn hates me--"

"Or Amar and George. Tori, Christina, Will." Tobias moved Tris's long blonde hair to sit behind her petite shoulders. "There are a lot of people who can volunteer to have you live with them. Don't worry, I'm here."

His friend's lips trembled as she took a breath, moving closer and laying her forehead against Tobias's shoulder. Tris didn't know when Tobias took her into his arms and sat them both on a chair near the wall.

And they waited.

+++

"I swear to God, Uriah, if you don't shut up!"

She shouted from the top of the stairs, her voice full with annoyance. The boys--Zeke and Uriah--laughed in amusement from their foster sister. They knew that she was studying for the big History exam she would have the next week, and they were teasing her.

"Tobias Eaton, you will be a single man if you continue laughing!"

Slowly, the smile dropped from Tobias's face. His girlfriend of one year scared him, especially while making threats like that. They had started dating when they were matched up to go to the Spring Formal together, and that was the night when they kissed. Trying to be only best friends after that would be impossible.

Tris began to stomp down the stairs, her big reading glasses covering her wide eyes. "I told you so," she said, walking slowly over to the couch where the three of them were sitting. She sat down sideways on her boyfriend's lap, moving an arm around his neck as she laid the textbook in her arms over her thighs. Just because she was studying doesn't mean she wouldn't take time to cuddle with her boyfriend.

Though, with Uriah and Zeke laughing in the background at the music playing and Tobias's lips pressing against her neck, she couldn't focus. Tris tried pulling away from Tobias a few times, but stopped resisting with a smile.

Her voice was low as she closed her textbook, tired of studying for the night, and said, "Caleb and my father's death anniversary is tomorrow. My mother's is a month from now."

Tobias pressed his lips to her cheek, "I know," he murmured back. "You'll be all right. You're strong. Stronger than you know." He laughed lightly and quietly, "And remember you can crash my party anytime."

+++

this is a rewrite of an old oneshot with the same title and based somewhat on that song. i know it's not her getting pregnant and then being engaged but i really like this one a lot better. :) comment!