eight, tighter psyche

Start from the beginning

-

Light poured through the crack in her eyelids as they fluttered open, revealing the shining oceans that sprawled beneath, a perfect picture of the beauty blue eyes could hold with a simple glance in the right direction.

Throat raw and dry, she pushed herself onto her elbows. The room span.

"Take it easy," Thor said from beside her, unlike the booming voice she'd laughed along with in Asgard. Even his usual chirpy grin was gone.

"Water," Lusine managed, propping herself up on the pillows, "please."

He handed the glass to her. The first long gulp was heavenly, but the second was otherworldly as it ran down her torn up throat and simmered the uncontrolled wildfire that raged.

"Thank you," Lusine said, already rejuvenated.

"I want to apologise for what I accused you of. I did not mean any ill intent, nor did I mean to anger you, Lusine. My brother... What he did to you is unforgivable and I am deeply sorry that I did not try to protect you from him." Eyes that used to be so full of joy were ringed with a tiredness Lusine had never seen on the god as he sat hunched in the chair beside her bed.

Lusine took another drink of the water as she delved into thought. After swallowing, she said, "Thor, I do not blame you for your thoughts and, while it is true that what Loki did to me was wrong, I do not blame him either. My lack of self-control is to blame and I think that deep down I've always known that."

"He pushed you from the Bifrost," Thor replied, frowning deeply, "you should have died."

When Lusine smiled, he noticed it did not reach those ardent eyes she'd wormed her way into the hearts of many with. A tormented sadness replaced the genuine pleasure that should come with any smile.

She licked her chapped lips. "I let him push me, Thor, I let him." She dragged a hand through her knots of dark hair. "I reprimanded you for not helping me when I didn't even try to help myself." She shrugged her shoulders, letting her eyes lock onto his as he slipped his giant hand into hers and squeezed it tight. "And thank you for stopping me from killing Agent Radcliffe today. I was... I wasn't in control."

Again, he squeezed her hand, his warmth seeping into her life force, melting the shards of ice lodged in her heart. "I couldn't let you have another death on your shoulders."

It was her turn to squash his hand in hers as best she could. "I can never thank you enough for everything you've done for me. I do not deserve your compassion and I am trying to be better." Lusine smiled an empty smile. "Sadly, it seems I fell in love with the wrong brother."

Thor shook his head with a laugh, his golden hair ruffling with the movement. "You must love him very much to have forgiven him."

"Oh, I haven't forgiven him. I don't think I'll ever forget the sting of betrayal in the moment his hands pushed me." She ran a bloody fingernail around the rim of the glass. "But I could never bring myself to hate him no matter how hard I tried to convince myself."

"He is my brother and if I know him half as well as I think I do, he would never do that to you again. Not in this life or the next," Thor said, slipping his hand away from her and rising from the chair. "But, what he's planning, don't let yourself get caught up in it, Lusine. Don't let him draw you in with his lies and wit. It will be hard enough to lock Loki up in Asgardian justice, but it would be even worse to see you locked up too."

"I appreciate that," Lusine thanked, matching it with a bob of her head. "Just a quick question," she put the glass down on the bedside table. "is he still here?"