Chapter 5

Two hours later my hair was curled and pinned up, my makeup was done, and I was getting into my dress. The party had started not too long ago so I felt no need to hurry. I slipped my feet into beige colored heels and then looked into the mirror one last time. If I say so myself I look pretty damn good. As I was looking in the mirror there was a knock on the door.

            “Come in,” I said turning to look at the door. Peter stood there in a tux with a white rose in hand. “Who’s that for?” I asked.

            “You,” Peter smiled handing it to me. “Will you be my date to the ball?” he asked.

            “You make it seem like its prom,” I laughed taking the rose. I placed it on my bed and then wrapped my arm around his. “Come on, we better get down there,” I smiled. He nodded and we left my room.

            “You look beautiful by the way,” Peter said as we entered the ballroom.

            “Thank you,” I blushed. “You’re not looking too bad yourself,” I chuckled.

            “Thanks,” he laughed. We weaved our way through the crowds until we got to the dance floor.

            “I never agreed to dancing,” I said as we began waltzing.

            “I never asked. I’m making you,” he replied with a laugh. I rolled my eyes but kept dancing with him.

            After a few hours of dancing with Peter, eating, dancing, and drinking I felt a tap on my shoulder as we waltzed again.

            “Can I take over?” a voice asked from behind me. Finn stood there staring at Peter.

            “Sure,” Peter said glancing at me.

            “You’re dead to me,” I whispered in Peter’s ear as he walked past. He chuckled and shot me a smile. Finn took my left hand in his and put his other hand on my mid back. We began our waltz in silence and I looked anywhere but at him.

            “Jo?” Finn murmured looking down at me.

            “Hmm?” I asked still not looking at me.

            “What happened?” he asked.

            “What do you mean?” I asked finally looking at him.

            “With us,” he specified.

            “I’m still not following,” I replied.

            “Today, you’ve been giving me the cold shoulder all day,” he replied.

            “Can I cut in?” James asked appearing next to us.        

            “Yes,” I said quickly pulling myself from Finn’s grasp. I moved into James’s arms and he swept me off.

            “You looked like you needed some saving,” James said as we danced.

            “You have no idea,” I replied.

            “So what’s going on with you and my brother?” he asked.

            “He greeted me by calling me an ill mannered commoner,” I scoffed remembering earlier.

            “Seriously?” James asked.

            “Yeah, he didn’t even remember me,” I shrugged. “It’s been ten years. I don’t even know why I came today. I don’t want to be here and I can tell he doesn’t want me here. I think I’m just going to go home tonight,” I muttered.

            “Why?” James asked letting me go. “Come on let’s get a drink.”

            “It’s too painful. You know how I felt. I’m here at his wedding for Christ’s sake. I think if I spend too much time around him those feelings will come back and it’ll be a lot more painful,” I explained. “Just champagne,” I said to the bartender. He handed me the bubbly drink and I took a sip “Thank you.”

            “You really think you’ll fall back in love with him?” James asked. “I mean it’s been ten years,” James said.

            “Yeah. And I haven’t had a serious boyfriend since then,” I sighed. “I was hopelessly in love with him and I know I’ll be again if I stay.” I said. “I’ll just tell my mom that I have work,” I said. “It was good seeing you James,” I said starting to walk away.

            “Wow wow wow, come on missy,” James said dragging me out to the gardens. “You’re gonna stay. I’ll spend some of the time with you and Peter can do the rest.  I’ll make sure you don’t get alone time with him,” James said.

            “Fine,” I relented sighing. “Go back inside. You’re wife’s probably looking for you,” I said pushing him back towards the doors.

            “Yes mother,” James chuckled and went inside. I sat looking at the roses until I heard the doors to the garden open.

            “Jo?” Finn’s voice said behind me.

Uh oh!!!! What's gonna happen?? You'll find out next chapter my lovelies! Comment, Vote, and Read on my fellow Wattpadians!