Ebony Data

Ebony
I walk into school with my three best friends Lena, Dawn, and Cassie. We strut through the halls like we own the place, because we do. I don't mean to sound conceited or anything, but we're easily the prettiest and most athletic girls in the school. My long black hair is tied in a ponytail on the top of my head and my emerald eyes flicker between my friends and passers bye in the hallway. Lena has gorgeous golden hair tied up in a high bun and pretty hazel eyes with flecks of gold. Dawn has red, curly hair tied in two neat braids and sparkly, blue eyes. Cassie has wavy, chocolate brown hair braided in a single plait down her back and metallic, grey eyes.
"Good luck tonight!" People say as we pass them in the halls. Tonight me and my girls are playing the East High Barn Owls for the volleyball state championships. I have complete confidence in our team because ever since the Barn Owls beat us earlier this season, coach has been drilling us at practice like nothing I've ever seen. Tonight our team is out for blood. I'm particularly excited to beat #6 from East High. Annabeth Chase. Ever since she beat me out for the A team in middle school I've had a personal vendetta against her. Same for Lena and #10 Piper McClean, Dawn and #13 Hazel Levesque, and Cassie and #7 Calypso Moonlace. We stroll into Chemistry and quickly spot our friends Percy, Jason, Frank, and Leo. Now I use the word 'friends' moderately loosely. The four boys sit at the lab desk next to ours and everyone at school knows that if our squads joined together we'd be a total power group. Percy is on the swim team, Jason plays basketball, Frank is in football, and Leo runs track and cross country. Not only are the boys totally athletic, they're super cute too. I wouldn't mind dating anyone of them at all.
"Hey boys, are you coming to the big game tonight?" Lena asks, sitting down in her seat.
"Yeah, it'll be a great game," Jason replies.
"Mmhmm, I can't wait to beat them, especially that Hazel girl," Dawn comments.
"Yeah, Annabeth, Piper, Hazel, and Calypso are going down," Cassie adds. The boys' smiles immediately disappear from their faces as soon as the words leave Cassie's mouth.
"Okay, good luck with that," Percy snorts. Before the boys turn their backs to us. Weird. Whatever, I'm sure when we win tonight the boys will see reason and come crawling back.

I tug my black jersey over my head quickly before running out to meet the rest of my teammates out on the court. Lena stands out clearly in her bright purple jersey, her being the libero and all. I see she's already spotted Piper. Since Piper is the libero for the other team she's easy to find in her mint jersey with a  10 in the middle. I quickly spot Annabeth, Hazel, Calypso as well. They're all just so naturally athletic and pretty, it's not even fair. I push my thoughts to the back of my mind and begin to warm up with Lena.
"Captains!" The referee shouts from the red stand. I jog over with my coach to find Annabeth already there with her coach.
"I'm Jocelyn and I'll be officiating the match today. The white lines are out and you may play balls off the ceiling as long as your team does not exceed the 3 hit limit. Since the Barn Owls are the guest, they will call the coin flip, Panther, you'll repeat her call," the ref tells us. With that she flips the silver coin in her hand.
"Tails," Annabeth says as the coin flips in the air.
"Tails," I repeat. The coin lands in the ref's hand tails up.
"We'll take serve," Annabeth says confidently.
The ref nods,
"Both teams get 4 minutes on court for warm up and 2 minutes of shared court time." We shake hands and return to our sides of the court. The Barn Owls get the court first since they're the visiting team. My team stands off to the side as the other team warms up so I take the time to find Percy and his friends in the stands. I finally see him on the opposite side of the gym in the Barn Owl section. I look over to our student section and see lots of open space. I wonder why they're over there. I look closer and see Percy holding a large sign that read, #6 will set these chicks! Next to him, Jason, Frank, and Leo hold similar signs with the slogans, #10 will ace em' again!, #13 is the blocking queen!, and #7 has hits from heaven! (A/N If you haven't guessed already, Annabeth is a setter, Piper is the libero, Hazel is a rightside, and Calypso is a middle.) I stare in horror as I realize that not only are they cheering for the OTHER team, but our biggest rivals! I nudge Lena and gesture to the boys.
"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I ask. I watch as my friend's faces contort to a look of terror that matches mine.
"Ok girls, we really need to win now," Dawn tells us. The ref blows the whistle signaling times up and my team steps onto the court. My friends and I try to look extra intimidating, but Annabeth and her friends annoyingly don't appear to be even slightly fazed. Our warm up goes quickly and soon enough, both teams are ready on court. Annabeth has the first serve and the ref blows the whistle, signaling for service. The ball is over the net so fast I barely have time to move. The whistle blows again. Annabeth had aced Lena on the first point. Annabeth serves again and this time Lena manages to get the ball up. I set the ball out to Dawn on the outside but Hazel and Calypso block her attack easily. Dawn tries to get the ball back up, but it goes back into the net. The game continues on like this and I slowly loose confidence in my team. Lena, Cassie, Dawn and I work well together, but Annabeth, Piper, Hazel, and Calypso seem to always be one step ahead, knowing exactly how the others are going to play the ball. The first game ends 17-25, an embarrassment for my team. The second game, I have first serve. The ball goes over and Piper passes the ball up flawlessly. Annabeth appears the set the ball up to Calypso, but at the last second, turns her wrist so the ball goes to Hazel instead. The fake out effectively tricks our team's block, and Hazel has an easy shot down the line that she makes good use of. The second game ends better then the first for my team 20-25, but a groan can be heard from our side of the bleachers when we lose the last point. The Barn Owls line up to shake hands, but no one on my team makes a move to meet them. Even though I'm upset we lost, I'm no about to be a bad sport about it. I get in line and high five the other team under the net and the rest of my team follows. Later that night as I scroll through my Instagram, I see several pictures of Annabeth, Piper, Hazel, and Calypso with Percy, Jason, Frank, and Leo and I have to smile. I may not be their biggest fan, but I have to hand it to them. Those girls have mad skill.

Comment your favorite sport!!🏐🎾⚽️🏀🏈⚾️