chapter twenty-nine: trapped

"Fuck."

Ryder's voice sounded stressed as we jumped into my car. It was early morning, and the sun was just rising, but we were already leaving. Again.

I threw our bags into the trunk and jumped in the passenger seat as quick as I could. Everything had been calm this morning until we turned on the tv.

Of course I was on the news. Where else would I be? I fucking hated this. Everywhere I went, I saw my own face plastered on newspapers and tv. I wasn't a big deal in my opinion, but yet here I was, front and center.

Ryder swerved out of the parking lot as we heard sirens approaching. Cops. They always seemed to be on our trail, stepping right on our heels.

I didn't care. We always got away. No matter how close the cops would be, it never seemed to bother me. I guess I hadn't thought about it, but now, nothing really scared me anymore.

I laid my head back as Ryder continued to push on the gas pedal making us go quicker and quicker. I felt the air rush through my hair.

"Enjoying yourself?" Ryder teased.

"You know it." I teased back.

"I still don't know how you manage to stay so calm while we have two cop cars behind us." He said, shaking his head slightly.

I laughed softly as we passed through the empty highway. It seemed to go on forever. Just a road going on forever.

"Shit." Ryder mumbled, causing me to quit daydreaming. "They're getting closer and I don't see anywhere we can hide out."

My face became worried as I realized he was right. We were basically in the middle of nowhere, only dirt surrounding us.

I looked back at the cop cars. They were dangerously near us, and it wouldn't be long until they caught up.

I closed my eyes and told myself not to worry. There wasn't anything to worry about anyways. Just a couple to cops. You've been in worse than this, I thought to myself.

"Here!" Ryder yelled excitedly as he turned harshly into a small town. I didn't know where the hell we were, but that was the least of my worries right now.

Welcome to Wrightwood, the sign read as we sped by it. Well Wrightwood, I hope you know how to treat murders well, I thought to myself.

"Holy fucking hell." Ryder yelled as he slammed on the brakes out of no where.

"What the hell Ryder?" I yelled back angrily as I opens my eyes to see what had made him stop.

Fuck.

There were two more cop cars right in front of us. The ones behind us must have called for backup.

Four cops cars? Just for little old me? It was stupid, but I admit I felt honored. Such a commotion for a 17 year old girl.

The citizens started to gather around, curious to see why there was such a hassle. I smiled as the cops direct their attention to driving them away.

"Stay back m'am" "Sir take your children please"
I heard them struggle as they gathered the crowd.

I quickly grabbed my gun from my backpack and hid it in my jacket. Hey, if any of these cops wanna try me, I might as well have some fun. I'm still crazy you know.

"Ready?" Ryder asked me, but I didn't have time to respond. He grabbed my arm harshly and pulled me out of the car, practically dragging me into a parking lot nearby.

We ran as quickly as we could, the cops right on our heels. I heard them yelling angrily, warning us to stop or they would shoot.

I laughed as Ryder pulled me father and farther. We stop suddenly as we realize there's no more places to run. Great. Just what I needed. Ryder looked at me with the same worried look I had. The look that said what we needed to say. There's no more options. No more running. We're trapped.

-
such a cliffhanger
anyways... sorry i haven't been updating!
i've been super busy with school and shit
but i'm still alive don't worry lmao ;)