chapter ten: alone for the day

I woke up pretty early. I found myself wrapped up in Ryder's arms, but he was dead asleep. The whole house was ominously quiet. It was almost serene. I got up and checked myself in the small bathroom next door. I didn't look as tired anymore, but I still had that same look, as if I were done with everything and everyone.

I brushed my hair, which had definitely gotten longer. I got ready and did my makeup. I changed into a simple black crop top, and a pair of ripped shorts, making sure Ryder was still asleep.

I hesitantly stepped out into the living room, where I found some of the boys asleep on the couches. I was guessing they had given up their room for Ryder and I. I tried my best not to wake them as I made my way back into my own room.

"Up and early huh?" A familiar husky voice said behind me. Phoenix. I slowly turned around.

"Early bird gets the worm..." I shrugged.

"Does it?" He smirked, leaning against the doorway into my room.

"I guess so..." I replied awkwardly.

He inched his way closer to me, and I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment. Suddenly his eyes shifted behind me, where Ryder was getting up out of bed.

Phoenix backed away before Ryder noticed.

"Who you talking to?" A shirtless Ryder asked groggily. His eyes immediately landed on Phoenix.

"Phoenix." I nodded towards the doorway where Phoenix stood threateningly.

Ryder's eyes clouded over, and Phoenix left the room, feeling the tension.

I sat down on the bed next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Bella... I don't like that guy." He said softly as he he wrapped his arms around me.

"Ryder, he's fine. Don't worry ok?" I assured him.

I didn't know if this was true, but I knew that I didn't like him either. There was something about Phoenix. Something that made me feel nervous and helpless around him, almost weak. I swear, he scared me more than Dean did.

I heard shuffling coming from the living room as he rest of the guys woke up.

"Breakfast anyone?" Jax said loudly as he entered our room.

"Yeah we'll be there in a sec." Ryder said awkwardly, motioning for Jax to get out.

Jax took the hint, before giving me a suspicious but dirty look.

"He doesn't see to like me very much." I whispered.

"Oh, he's just like that. He's real nice once you get to know him.." He replied casually.

-

We ate breakfast at the large table they had. To be honest, it was very awkward and completely quiet, except for Jax and Ryder having a few conversations. The tension between Ryder and Phoenix was obvious, and it made everyone uncomfortable.

Once we had finished, most of the younger boys had left to go cause trouble somewhere else I'm guessing. The only ones left were Ryder, Jax, Phoenix, Ace, and I. It was even more awkward then breakfast had been.

It stayed that like for a while. Everyone had woken up pretty late, so it was around 2 by now. If it was even possible, it then got more awkward. Jax and Ryder had to leave for the day to look for a place where Ryder and I could stay.

"I hate to leave you here with that guy, but at least Ace is here." Ryder told me as he pulled me aside. "I'll find us a nice place ok? We'll be alright."

I nodded absentmindedly, thinking about what I would do for the rest of the day. Jax and Ryder wouldn't be home until late at night, and who knows when the others would be back.

"Just stay away from him alright?" Ryder's voice broke through my thoughts. That would be a little difficult when he happens to be one of the only people in the house...

"Ok..." I replied as he pulled me into his chest. I looked up and he kissed me softly. Before I could deepen the kiss, he pulled away to leave with Jax. I pouted and made a sad face at him. He winked back as he closed the front door. I sighed, realizing I would be alone. I backed up to turn around, but I bumped into someone.

"Finally gone isn't he?" Phoenix said, uncomfortably close to me. I turned around to find myself staring into his icy eyes. I backed up slowly.

"Uh yeah, for a while I guess."

Ace looked up at us, eyeing Phoenix suspiciously. He then looked at me, and I swear he could see how nervous I was.

I made my way to the couch, and sat down awkwardly. Might as well watch some tv, since there was nothing else to do. Ace was still sitting at the table reading the paper, but still watching Phoenix's every move. I could tell he didn't trust him. I reached  for the remote, feeling the couch sink as someone sat next to me. Some stupid beach movie was on, and I leaned back into the couch to find Phoenix dangerously close to me once again. He seemed to do that a lot. Didn't he know I was with Ryder? I mean, we weren't dating or anything but... I actually didn't know what we were.

"What oh what shall we do today?" Phoenix said mischievously. "You guys up for some fun?"

He leaned deeper into the couch, his shoulder grazing mine lightly. I slowly tilted away from him, uncomfortable by his touch.

"Whatever you say man..." Ace replied, uninterested.

"And what do you say babe?" Phoenix asked me, inching closer to me.

"Sure, I guess..." I answered, weirded out by what he had called me.

Ace continued to watch him closely, even more suspicious than ever.  I glanced at the clock on the wall. 2:30.

"How about some lunch? On me." Phoenix grinned, reading my thoughts.

Ace and I shrugged in unison.

"Ok great. I know a place." Phoenix ushered Ace and I out into the street as we headed to his favorite diner.