chapter fifteen: playing games

"I don't even know where to find him." I told Jax, realizing I had no idea where we were going. I didn't know a single thing about Phoenix. Come to think about it, I didn't know much about Ryder either.

"Sometimes Phoenix stays with some of his other friends." Jax told me.

"Yeah, I bet that's the first place Ryder went." Ace assured me.

We continued to walk to wherever Phoenix was staying. We were an odd bunch. A bunch of rough looking boys, some young, and others older, and one single, lonely-looking girl.

It took a while, but we finally arrived at these large and expensive looking apartments. They really stood out against the neighborhood around it. I wondered how Phoenix's friend had managed to get such a nice apartment.

"He's in number 118." Jax motioned. I walked upstairs hesitatingly, before looking back with a worried face. They all just stood there, until Ace followed behind me.

We walked up the stairs, and I came up face to face with a clean white door. I took a deep breath and knocked. No answer. I knocked again, this time louder and more impatient.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" I asked Ace.

"Yeah, we've dropped him off here before, but we've never been inside."

"I-" I started to speak, before I heard shuffling coming from inside.

Ace stepped in front of me protectively, but I don't know why he did that.

The door opened slowly to reveal a dark haired boy with messy hair and a large flannel on. He had a muscular build, and a mischievous smile. His eyes looked suspicious, and his right eyebrow had a scar running through it. He took his cigarette out of his mouth and blew the smoke in my direction as he looked me up and down.

"Can I help you, pretty lady?" He asked. He stared at Ace, a mean look on both of their faces.

I moved from behind Ace and stepped closer to the mischievous looking boy.

"Is Phoenix here?" I asked, trying to get a look inside. There was someone else in there.

His eyes were focused on Jax and the boys behind me before he laughed and said "Phoenix? Yeah he's here. Hey Phoenix, you order a stripper?"

I scowled, and Ace rolled his eyes as the boy flicked his ashes at us.

"Whaddya want Blaze?" A voice came from inside.

"We got visitors." Blaze answered, motioning us to head inside. I looked back at Jax and the other boys. Jax gave Ace and I a nod, giving us permission to go in. I was guessing they would wait for a while, and then get bored and head back home.

I entered their apartment, as Ace walked in front of me. As I walked in, I felt Blaze blow his cigarette smoke on the side of my face.

"Phoenix! I said we got visitors!" He yelled.

I looked around. Their apartment was a mess. I spotted small plastic baggies scattered on the table, so I now knew where they had gotten all that money.

"Come back for more I see." A voice behind me said.

I turned around to find a shirtless Phoenix leaning against the doorway into the hall.

"She's not back for anything." Ace sneered.

"Didn't I tell you to watch it?" Phoenix sneered back

"Phoenix." I said angrily, getting his attention.

"Say that again babe, sounds so good to hear it." He smirked. I rolled my eyes at how cocky he could be.

"Tell me where he is." I demanded.

"Who?" He asked naively.

"You know who. I know you have him."

"I don't know who. Care to explain?" He replied, slithering towards me.

Ace stepped forward, pitting his arm in front of me. Phoenix scowled at him, but Ace gave him an equally cold scowl. I stepped in front of him, annoyed at people who thought they needed to protect me.

"Tell. Me. Where. He. Is." I spat, getting close to Phoenix's face. He smiled down at me, as if I were some child.

"Maybe I do know. Maybe he's close. Maybe he's far. Maybe he's alive. Or maybe he's dead. But he's definitely regretting coming after me that's for sure."

He gave me another smile, satisfied by the worried look I had on my face.

"Stop playing games." Ace warned.

"Well then maybe you should just give him what he wants." Blaze interrupted, watching us with amusement.

"What do you mean 'what he wants'..." I asked.

"You know what I want." Phoenix said seductively, reaching out to touch my cheek softly. I grew nervous, not because of what he said, but because I was actually considering it.

"No. No. Bella you can't." Ace spoke up.

"Pretty lady can do what she wants." Blaze shrugged.

Ace gave him a dirty look, before bringing his attention to me again. I stood there awkwardly as Phoenix stroked my hair gently.

"Let's go Bella. We'll find another way to get Ryder." I heard Ace say, his voice uncomfortable, though he was trying to sound cool.

"Ok..." I replied absentmindedly.

As we headed out the door Phoenix gave me one last sly smile.

"Think about it, ok?" He winked.