chapter seventeen: leaving

It had already been a few days without Ryder. It was long and tedious. I hated to admit it, but I was worried. Everyone was. I couldn't stand it. I couldn't stand knowing that Phoenix was gonna get what he wanted. But most of all, I couldn't stand waking up alone every morning.

Jax's plan wasn't working at all, and he knew it. We all knew it, but we didn't say anything. I had to do something, because I knew no one else would. And I knew tonight I would give old Phoenix a visit. I didn't care what would happen.

It was a quiet day. Everyone stayed inside and just sat around. Once it was nighttime, they all started to head to their rooms. I stayed in the living room for a while, waiting for all of them to leave.

"Want a smoke?"

I turned my head to see Ace, holding a cigarette in between his fingers. I gently plucked it from his hand and he sat down next to me. I dug into my pocket for my lighter.

"A white lighter?" He raised his eyebrows at me as I lit my cigarette. "They're bad luck you know."

"I've had it for a while. I guess that explains why my life's a mess." I laughed.

He smiled and took a long drag of his cigarette. We were quiet for a while, just breathing. I felt like I could really trust him. He was one of the few people who were genuine. I had never met someone like that.

"It's getting late." I whispered, getting up to put out my cigarette. It was getting late and I had somewhere to go, I thought.

"Uh yeah, night." He replied, looking up at me.

"Thanks for staying with me." I said, giving his hand a squeeze.

-

Ace's POV
I always asked her if she wanted to smoke. I calmed me, and it seemed to calm her. It was kinda our thing I guess.

"A white lighter?" I asked as she lit her cigarette. Of course she had a white lighter. She seemed like the kind of person who didn't believe in myths. The kind of person who didn't give a fuck. "They're bad luck you know."

She looked at me as if I were crazy before finally responding.

"I've had it for a while. I guess that explains why my life's a mess." She laughed softly.

She's a mess alright, a goddamn fucking beautiful mess. And that's ok, to be completely unexplainable.

I took a long drag of my cigarette as I continued to become more lost in my thoughts. I had never met someone like her.

"It's getting late." She whispered, breaking into my thoughts. I looked up at her curiously.

"Uh yeah, night." I replied, finally reacting.

"Thanks for staying with me." She smiled as she gave my hand a squeeze.

I sat there for a while, alone. I took my time finishing my cigarette. I heard some shuffling in Bella's room, and I swear I heard her open that old window, but I brushed it off. I was too busy, too wrapped up in my thoughts to notice.

She had smiled. A smile that meant a lot to me, but she would never know. A smile that made me forget all the terrible things in this world, and all the terrible things I had done.

-

back to Bella's POV
I walked into my empty room and closed the door behind me. I waited for Ace to leave, but he was finishing his cigarette. I decided to pack up all my things. I had made up my mind. After I found Ryder, I would leave.

Ace didn't show any sign of leavening soon. He took his time finishing his cigarette, but if I had the time, I would too.

I grabbed my bag and opened the window in my room. The cold wind gushed in. I threw my bag and and slid out, hoping I wouldn't make too much noise, but of course, I did. On my way out, I left my bag in my car. I would be back once I had Ryder, and then I would finally leave.