chapter fifteen: back to school

I woke up monday morning, not at all ready for school. Everything would be different now that Steph was dead. I didn't know if it would be a good different, or a bad different. Good for me, I thought as I got out of bed.

I got to school early for once. Beth and Charlotte ran up to me and embraced me in a hug I wasn't at all expecting. Beth looked up at me, her eyes puffy and red.

"I can't believe someone would do this..." She cried.

"What kind of monster would kill someone like Steph?" Charlotte added, tears ruining her perfectly done makeup. I tried my hardest to keep myself from rolling my eyes. Monster, deranged, I had heard so many names by now. These people didn't even know it, but the killer was standing right before their eyes. We stood in silence until the bell rang. I began to walk to my class when Beth grabbed my arm.

"You're going to the funeral tonight right?" I smiled softly at this poor, innocent, oblivious girl in front of me. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."
———————————————————————————I walked into my first period, feeling everyone's stares on me. I sat down in my usual seat, next to Charlie. Boy, he didn't look happy at all when he saw me. I guess it was because I had bailed on him.

"Where did you go last night? I looked all over."
"I didn't feel well, so I left early. I'm sorry Charlie." I lied, trying to sound the most convincing I could. He smiled sadly. "After all that happened, I forgot to call you." I continued, hoping to cause you pity. "Yeah don't worry about it. I'm just glad you didn't get hurt." He replied taking my hand in his. I felt your stare from the back of the room. I pulled my hand away, breaking the awkward silence.

"Steph was a nice girl. She didn't deserve this."
Oh hell yes she did buddy, I thought as you said that.
"It's such a shame, they didn't even catch the killer."
Yeah, good thing, or I wouldn't be here right now.

"Yeah, it's unbelievable how someone could do that."
Pretty unbelievable if I say so myself.

"You going to the funeral tonight?" You asked.
"Yeah, I'll see you there." I replied. I knew you were hoping I would go. I knew you still liked me, and I had no idea what I would do if you asked me out.