chapter eighteen: runaways

"Bella?"

I looked up from my notebook I was writing in.

"You're wanted in the dean's office."

"Ok" I took the pass as I looked at my teachers tired eyes. She looked as if she were tired of every single teenager in this room.

There's nothing to worry about, I said to myself as I walked to the office. But there was still that small pinch of fear inside me. I knew Dean and I would never get caught, but there would always be fear. It was probably just about all the days I had skipped.

"Bella Lauder?"

"Yeah, that's me." I looked up at the lady in front of me. She looked professional, with her sharp blazer and her slightly rounded glasses.

"So would you like to explain to me why you've been missing so many days of class?"

I let out a sigh of relief. "I'm just busy I guess." I told her as I shrugged carelessly.

"This is serious, Bella. Do you happen to know anything about the recent teen suicides?" She asked me, her voice accusing.

My chest sank, and I swear my heart was beating a thousand times per minute. "Yeah, a few friends of mine killed themselves this year, that's all I know."

I looked at her, praying she couldn't see through my lies. I'm sure she couldn't possibly know anything.

"Do you hang out with Dean a lot? Dean Castor."

Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck. "Yeah." I nodded carefully.

"And what's your relationship with him?"

"He's my boyfriend." Boyfriend, I had never used that word for you before.

She scribbled something down in her notebook, and I hate to admit it, but it made me fucking nervous.

"Ok, thank you." She pushed her chair and got up. "Just wait for me here." I watched her walk out.

Jesus christ, I thought looking out the window. Suddenly, I heard shuffling coming from outside. I shot up as I saw your head peek through. You smirked at me when you saw me staring.

"Dean!" I scolded, cautiously looking over my shoulder. I swear that weird ass lady was watching our every move.

"Well come on!" you whispered loudly. I looked back at the office lady outside the door talking to a cop. No fucking way, the cops are here? How is this even happening...

"Now!" You hissed impatiently. I snapped away from the haze I was in and realized what was happening. I jumped out of my seat and crawled out the window as quickly as I could. You pulled me towards your car, nearly ripping my arm off. As you drove off, I could hear the cop and the office lady yelling as they frantically searched for me.

"Find that Dean Castor kid!" I heard her yell.

You were speeding down the street, your knuckles white as they gripped the steering wheel, but you still managed to throw me one of your oh so very infamous smirks. I smiled as if I didn't have a single care in the world, but I swear my heart was beating a thousand times per second.