chapter twenty-one: hand in hand

"Where to m'lady?" You extended you hand playfully and swiftly opened the car door for me.

"Far away." I laughed quietly as I jumped into the front seat next to you. "Anywhere with you."

"Let's make it happen peaches."

We drove off, headed for the freeway. We had decided to leave the state completely, and maybe change our names or something. I didn't care what we did, as long as we didn't get caught. You stopped suddenly and pulled up into a gas station.

"I'll won't take long." You winked. I watched you walk off into the pit stop.

I sat in the car quietly. I hoped this would be quick, I really wanted to get out of here. I looked out the window, and saw a worker. He looked dirty, his hands black from dirt. What I really made me nervous was the way he had looked at you and I, eyeing us suspiciously. I looked away, which was a bad idea, because I hadn't seen him pull out his phone.

I continued to look around absentmindedly. I nearly jumped out of my seat when I heard someone knock on my window. I turned to look, and my heart stopped beating. The cop. The cop from the deans office.

"You have five seconds to exit your vehicle before I call for backup." He stood at the window, the shadows on his face becoming dark. I stayed in the car, ignoring his command.

"HEY OFFICER" I heard someone yell. I whipped around, trying in vain to see who's voice it was. The cop turned around his attention completely focused on who had yelled at him. Before I could react, you jumped in the car, and the ignition roared. You pulled out so quickly I almost flew out of my seat.

"HEY!" The office chased after us. It was no use. I watched him call for backup and jump into his cop car as he began to chase us. You nervously glanced at your rear view mirror. The cop was on our trail, and there were more coming.

"Jesus fucking christ Dean!" I yelled as the wind blew through my hair. "What the fuck are we going to do now?"

"Relax. Have I ever failed you before, peaches?"

You smirked. I had no idea how you could be so calm during a moment like this.

You took a sharp turn into a dark alley. I could hear the sirens getting closer and closer.

"What the hell are we doing here?" I asked impatiently. They were getting closer by the second.

"We'll ditch the car and get it later. It'll be easier to hide in the forest on foot." You explained. You pulled my hand and we crossed the street. We ran quickly into the dark forest, hand in hand. I turned around just in time to see a bright light flash into my face.

"In the forest! Quick!" I heard a cop yell. Great. Fucking great.

We ran and ran and ran. I felt branches cutting and piercing through my skin, but I was too scared to care. The footsteps of the cops echoed behind me.

"This way." You whispered, you hand gripping my hand so tightly, I swear it would break.

"Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck." You yelled. Your voice was angry. Angry and anxious.

"What is it?" I asked absentmindedly, too focused on the  sound of the cops voices getting closer and closer.

"Dead end."

My blood went cold as I realized what you were staring at. It was a cliff, a dead end. That's it. We're caught. I'll spend my life in jail.

I looked into your eyes, and there was fear in yours, equal to mine. Fear and confusion. There was no way out. I took your hand in mine.

"It was fun." I whispered as you cupped my cheek.

"It really was, peaches." I swear I saw a tear.

"FREEZE!" The cops slithered towards us, their loaded guns pointing dangerously. They taunted us with a gun, as if we were afraid of those. Funny.

I slowly back up, my hand gripping your arm. I looked up at you, my eyes pleading. Suddenly, you erupted into laughter, a sly smirk once again on your face. You grabbed my hand and pulled me close to you, and I smiled, realizing why you were laughing.

I looked up, locking eyes with the cop who had a gun pointed at my forehead. I smiled sweetly, and turned my focus back to you.

I whispered, and my voice sweet like honey,

"Forever and always?"

"Forever and always."

And just like that, hand in hand with you, I felt myself fall. We drifted freely, my hair in the wind as the ground grew closer and closer. We locked eyes for the last time. You hair blew around your face, and I felt as if we were floating.

I closed my eyes, awaiting our death.

Our backs hit the ground with a thud.

Then it all went black.