Chapter 14

Saturday
-
JAYDEN'S POV

"Mide!" The undeniable virile voice of my father called.

"Yes, dad!" I answered, hurriedly standing up from the bed to heed to his calling. This man was supposed to be in Thailand until next week nau— I thought, frowning.

Once I got to his room door, my fisted knuckles connected to it, and he voiced a 'come in'.

I opened the door and entered into his room which had unfinished paper works littered all over the bed. My dad sat at the edge of the bed with his eyeglasses resting on his head.

"Good afternoon dad." I greeted, and he nodded in response.

My mom wasn't in the room else it wouldn't be this littered, she was in the kitchen, supervising the cooks. She didn't complain about us not helping her anymore, because my dad had hired people to assist her.

We don't want anybody to jazz us or use their pee to cook our food. Ew.

My dad was crazily in love with my mom and they acted like they just fell in love yesterday. Whenever they were together there was this fire between them.

I adored them both.

My dad was an extremely strict man when he was outside our home but once he's home with his family, he was like a happy child.

My mom had my dad's 'mumu button' and it was funny how a small-statured woman like her could control a huge man like my dad.

I didn't wanna fall in love, not because I couldn't be a fool for any girl, but because I was hella scared of love.

"...my calls." His voice brought me back to reality.

"Yes," I answered without a single idea of what he said.

I just pray it was a question.

"It now takes you forever to answer my calls?" He repeated, obviously letting me know he knew I zoned out.

"No. I answered and ran here immediately I heard you call." I expounded, trying not to frown.

"I've told you to stop putting those rubbish earphones over your ears, you'll go deaf, and I'm sure no one needs a deaf son to take over their company." He scolded, and suddenly he began laughing, I found it weird but the way he laughed triggered my funny bone and I joined him.

When he stopped, I stopped too.

Weird!

"Come here my son," he ordered, tapping the nearest space beside him on his bed, motioning for me to come sit.

I walked over and I sat on his bed. "I've seen you grow in a handsome young man, the ladies man. You remind me of myself when I was young."

"So you were a-a-"

"If I wasn't one, how do you think your mother fell hopelessly in love with me?" He asked then he chuckled.

Or it's the other way round?

This conversation was really weird. WEIRD

"I love you son, and if I should die today, I'll be a proud father." My heart skipped, was my father tipsy? Why was he saying this?

"I love you too, dad," I admitted.

"I know you must think, why does this old man act differently towards me all the time?"

I shook my head, "No dad."

"Nah, don't lie. Like you know, I was never a happy little child. My life had always been difficult and that was why I made a promise to my dad, that as the first and only son, I'll do everything to get myself, my mom and my three sisters out of poverty. God was fortunate enough to hear our prayers and it happened so fast, from being a housekeeper to the owner of uncountable business buildings, all thanks to your mom. My past is dark and I don't want yours to be dark too."