The day we met

His mother resented me. Why? Because ever since I was a little girl at the mere age of five, I had Kilian wrapped around my finger from the very first time we met. I remember it like it was yesterday. Mostly because my mother dressed me up, in the prettiest softest pink dress you could imagine. I was fascinated by it and could not keep my hands off it.

I also remember meeting Kilian for the first time. My mother had told me that he was a very smart young 'man' and that I should not get upset if he corrected me on something. But that is not what I saw in front of me. I saw a boy who was in awe of me. He had his hands behind his back and brought them to the front, handing me some white lilies. Oh, how I loved and still love white lilies.

That morning he had followed me all around the park watching my every move, scurrying behind me as he helped me pick flowers. We sat down at the picnic our mothers had set up for us. Poor Kilian had gotten a salmon sandwich that he did not like very much. He made funny faces as he ate it. His mother scolding him every ten seconds.

I giggled and handed him half of my ham and cheese sandwich. He smiled and took a bite as his mother scowled at us. That was the beginning of her hatred. She never liked people thinking they knew better than she did, and I was not one to stand down and bow to her. Even as a little girl I knew how to stand my ground. A quality my mother did not like very much, since it seemed to make things exceedingly difficult sometimes. But I did not mind. I was a daddy's girl always have been and always will be.

After that date me and Kilian would have a picnic every other day. We loved playing with each other, and I had become his newfound fascination. We practically grew up together. But as he got older his fascination for me started to drift elsewhere. Her name was Rosie. I remember it like it was yesterday. Every year on the 13th of July, 8 days before my birthday my mother and father would throw the fletcher annual ball. Everyone made it a priority to come.

If you did not attend or if you were not invited, that meant you had gone down on the social popularity scale. Me and Kilian went together every year since we met, but that day Kilian had told me that he could not make it. I was utterly devastated.

My mother had told me to stop whining and go upstairs to get dressed. My grandmother had made me this gorgeous dress, she was the best designer in the city. Everyone killed to get their hands-on Lilly Fletchers couture. I had specifically asked my grandmother to make it his favourite colour, yellow. I was devastated that he would not be able to see it. Well so I thought.

That night I had gracefully walked down the staircase per my mother's request as to showcase my grandmother's dress

That night I had gracefully walked down the staircase per my mother's request as to showcase my grandmother's dress. The ballroom was full. Guests flooded and filled every corner and crevice. But out of everyone. I noticed him. Kilian, in the corner holding her hand with a smile on his lips. A smile that I had only seen him give me before. The smile that I thought only could appear when I was around, but I was wrong.

" Here we have Amelia Rose Fletcher. Daughter of Cornelia A Fletcher and Sir Henry S Fletcher." The announcer bellows as I walk down the steps. As soon as my name was spoken. Kilian's eyes looked straight at me; guilt clear in his eyes. But that was nothing compared to the sadness in mine. Because he was standing there with someone else.

A beautiful girl with long, golden hair gracefully pinned back. She had the body every man dreamed of. I could not help but understand why he was there with her and had discarded me. I looked away and held my head up high. That was the first time Kilian Dumont broke my heart, and it was not the last.