A true nightmare

Dean. Dean. That was all I could think of. He would be here any second. I waited patiently on the glossy, wooden bench of the beautiful garden that surrounded my childhood home. Extravagant white lilies almost encircling the spacious bench. I give myself a once over for the millionth time since I had gotten dressed this morning. I peered down at my cream-coloured lace gloves, the polished, radiant, emerald ring that graced my middle finger. A gift from my father. I remember when he gifted me the ring he had just-.

I felt a light tap on my shoulder stopping any train of thought that busied my mind. Its him. I can tell by the woodsy smell that I have learned to enjoy and love so much. I turn around and allow my hazel eyes to wander up to his grey ones. He smiles and sits beside me, his suit as sharp as always. Not too big and not too small. He did not look like one of those young men that like to act older than their age, he was the kind of man that knew what to say and when to say it...but I guess that isn't always a good thing.

He reaches out for my hands and grabs them both, squeezing them in his warm ones. " Hello, my love" he says as he continues to smile, stroking my hands with his thumbs. "Hello" I whisper back quietly as I feel a blush reach my freckled cheeks. I muster up the courage to speak again. " Have you heard the news? my brother is to marry!" I gleam excitedly. " I mean that will be us soon! it will be amaz-". I say almost blabbering on about the future, like I had done one to many times.

" Now my love. Let us not get carried away. I have some news for you." He utters softly, trying to drown out my excitement. I look at him in bewilderment. " What is it? Is it some news I'd like?" I ask excitement still vaguely evident in my voice.

He sighs, placing both is hands on top of my tiny ones, covering them completely. " Well, my father talked to me and he said I ought to marry Cecilia" he says with sympathy in his eyes. But how could this be true Cecilia is my cousin. She would never don't that to me! Would she?

" Is this why you finally came to visit me after so long?" I ask softly it was almost inaudible. I remove my hands from his. " No of course it's not! You know I love you! I always try to spend time with you!" He bellows in his defence. I stand, ready to take my leave. " I think you should go" I advise him as I feel my heart shatter even more rapidly by the second. The only way I can describe this feeling, is with one word and one word only. Melancholy.

I glanced at him one more time, as I knew it would be the very last time I could or would ever be able to see him, as the way he was to me in the very moments before...before the heart wrenching words, he had spoken.

Because from now on I knew I ought to think of him as Sir Dean Lawrence, my cousin's fiancé. Not as Dean, the gentleman that made the butterflies in my stomach go wild. For he was no longer mine. He had been ripped away from my soft, gentle grip. I should have held on tighter. But would that really had made a difference. NO. I ran from the very depths of the enchanting garden that once held so many extraordinary memories but was now tainted by one horrific one. I pushed the doors of my home wide open, as I darted towards my bedchamber. Voices of the housemaids followed me, but I refused to talk to anyone. I wanted, needed to be alone. Alone for my very undoing. I lay back against my door closing it shut.

I let the tears cascade from my eyes. I let out a choked sob, as I place my head on my raised knees. My baby blue gown serving as a comfortable pillow, in the absence of the one that adorned my bed. The last thing I remember in the very last moments of my conscious state, was slumber catching up to me as fast as a ticking time bomb.