Sooner Than We Thought

Chrom

I tossed and turned in bed, hoping I would soon fall asleep. I flopped on my back with a huff and stared at the ceiling. "Why can't I sleep?" I tried everything! Counting sheep, thinking sleepy thoughts, and even hitting my head really hard on the bedpost! That last one only made my head hurt.

I hopped out of bed and tiptoed over to Lissa's crib. She's still sleeping and safe... Good... Looking out the window, I saw the full moon high in the sky and the stars flickering. I felt something tug at my heart, and I started walking towards the balcony.

The air was warm but cool at the same time; however, the marble balcony was cold against my bare feet, but I paid no mind to it. The stars were bright and beautiful against the dark black sky. I was too short to see over the railing, so I had to climb on top of a table in order to see.

I stared for a bit; not speaking; not moving.

I narrowed my eyes at a certain star cluster. "Canis...Major?" I noticed the much bigger star cluster and face-palmed. "No! Minor! That one is Major!"

Mama used to take me and Emm out at night and taught us about the stars. I never really paid attention, but...after she died...

I shook my head and focused back on the stars. "I'm gonna know everything about the stars, Mama! I promise!"

...

"Chrom!" I awoke to Emm's voice.

"Muh?" I lifted my head from a hard surface and looked around.

"There you are!" she exclaimed, walking onto the balcony. "Did you sleep out here all night?"

I sat up and yawned. "I was looking at the stars..."

Emm sighed and helped me down. "Just...nevermind. I actually need to talk to you about something very important."

I squeezed her hand and nodded. "Ok..."

She sat me down on the bed and let out a breath. "Chrom, Hierarch and I have been talking, and we think that it is best to start your lessons earlier than originally planned."

I stared at her. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"We planned for you to start school when you turned six; however, we decided that your fifth birthday is when you'll start."

"What!? Why?!"

Emm sighed. "Because you're next in line for the throne," she said. "I won't be having heirs of my own anytime soon, and a lot of people want me dead right now. We have to be prepared for the worst."

My heart dropped to my feet. "N-no! You can't die! Not you too!" I cried and hugged her neck. "I can't lose you..."

"Shh... Breathe." She rubbed my back and hushed me. "I won't leave you. I promise." She pulled away. "I'm so sorry... I want nothing more than to let you enjoy your childhood for as long as possible. I really do. But this is necessary to ensure Ylisse's safety."

I didn't say anything for a while. ...Do I really have to do this? What does Hierarch know, anyway?! Still, Emm seems really serious about this...

Finally, I decided to speak. "Ok, I'll do. For Ylisse's sake." Mama asked me to protect it, so that is what I'll do!

Emm smiled at me. "I'm so proud of you." She hugged me once more. "Thank you. I know this won't be easy for you, but you can make it through. You still have one more year until your lessons start and I promise to make it as enjoyable as possible."

I nodded. "Thanks, Emm..." 

___________

Both nerds are obsessed with stars. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Fire Emblem: Before AwakeningOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara