My Daughter

Evelina

I awoke to the feeling of someone poking my face. "Huh...who's there?" My vision cleared, and I saw my daughter looming over me, smiling. I smiled back and sat up. "Goodmorning, little bird!" I took her into my arms. "How are you this morning?"

Anna babbled and continued to poke my cheeks. "Mama!"

My heart warmed when she said that. It's only been a few days since she said her first word, but it still feels like the first time every single time she says that! "You want Mama? Mama's right here!" I kissed her tiny forehead.

She poked me once more and then pointed to her stomach. "Mama! Hungie!"

I laughed. "You're hungry?" She nodded. "Alright, let's get you something to eat!"

I got out of bed and took Anna with me, placing her on a blanket in the middle of the floor. It's nice to be in an inn... I don't have to worry about bandits or wild animals attacking us in the night... I went over to the bag where I kept all my food. I grabbed a small container full of a plain cereal and walked over to Anna.

"Here you go, sweetie." I poured a bit of the cereal on the blanket and watched as Anna ate a few pieces. She's so precious...

"Mama!" Anna offered me a fistful of cereal.

I smiled at her. "No thanks, honey. You need to eat all your cereal in order to become big and strong!" I ruffled her fluffy brown hair. Anna giggled and shoved her whole fist in her mouth. Well...at least she's eating! She giggled again as cereal fell onto her light pink onesie.

I watched my daughter as she ate. I can't believe I've had her for over ten months! She's grown so much! We've had a tough journey so far...but we've made it through...

Life has been hard for us ever since we arrived in Ylisse ten months ago. I decided that it wasn't a good idea to buy a home because I didn't want it to be easier for the Grimleal to catch me, and I didn't want to endanger anyone. So, Anna and I have been living off the road. We only stay in inns about once or twice a month, and then we continue roaming the country of Ylisse. During the winter, however; I took a small job at a tavern and we lived there for the season. Once the snow and ice thawed and the land had warmth once more, we took back to the road.

I thought back to when we were in Plegia... I'm so glad we're here... If we remained in Plegia, I have no doubts that we would have been caught... And if we remained with the Grimleal...oh, gods...

I shook my head and looked at Anna. She looked up at me with her sapphire blue eyes and smiled. It's so hard to imagine my Anna being raised with such dark teachings...and eventually become the thing that would destroy us all...

Oh, Father...Mother...what would you say to us right now? Would you be mad at me for being tricked by the leader of the Grimleal? Would you be proud of me for escaping? I decided that it would be the latter. Are you watching us? Is Blaise with you? ...I don't even know if I want the answer to that... In one case, he'd be dead...but at peace... In the other...he's still fighting in the war... W-what if he's still alive?! He doesn't know where I am or what happened!

"Oh, gods...Blaise...I hope you're happy... Wherever you are..."

"Who?" Anna looked at me with curious eyes.

My breath caught in my throat. I then let out a breath and patted her head. "He's my brother, sweetie." I smiled. "I don't think you'll ever get the chance to meet your Uncle Blaise..."

Anna poked my nose. "Mama?"

I picked her up and placed her in my lap. "I'll explain everything to you when you're older," I said. "You're too young to understand right now..."

She gently headbutted me. "Mama!"

I watched her antics for a little while, then chuckled lightly. "How can I be sad when you're around, my sweet little Anna..." I kissed her forehead. "Now is not a time to mourn... I will carry on my family's legacy with pride! And you will too, Anna... You are my daughter, not Grima's, not Validar's." I stood up and hugged Anna close. "You'll always be my little girl...no matter how old you are. You're my Anna, my daughter...and no one can change that..."

I placed her on the bed and began to pack my belongings. "As much as I love staying in inns, we have to leave," I said. "We can't stay in one place for too long, dear. But we can make it! I know we can!" Anna rocked back and forth, playing with her feet.

You hear that, Grima? You can't have Anna. She will become her own person, not your pawn. She'll create her own future, whether you like it or not.

___________

So yeah. I wanted baby Anna fluff after last chapters Chrom angst. Anyway, I plan on creating a schedule for Before Awakening soon because my life is about to get really hectic. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!