The Gift of a Garden

Emmeryn

"Who's the cutest prince in the world? You are! You are!" I tickled my year-old brother, making him laugh. "What's my name again, buddy?"

"Emm!" Chrom giggled.

"And what's your name?"

"Chrom!"

"What's Mommy's name?"

"Mama!"

I laughed and hugged him close. "No, silly! It's Lucia!"

"Mama!" he said again, laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world.

I sighed and shook my head. "Close enough!" I smiled.

This was just a part of our morning routine. I was Chrom's primary caretaker, and I took pride in that. Plenty of maids and wet nurses volunteered to care for him, but I refused their help. This is my brother, I want to watch after him! After an entire year, I had gotten used to our new routine. I would wake up, get dressed, prepare myself for the morning, and then repeat that with Chrom. After that, I would always sit on my bed with him and play with him until Mother came to take us to breakfast. This morning; however, she was late.

"I hungry!" Chrom pouted, putting his hands on his stomach.

I hugged him and ruffled his blue hair. "I know, buddy," I said. "Mother will be here soon, just wait!"

Right on cue, Mother came into our room. "Sorry that I'm late, kiddos!" she apologized. "I was talking with your father."

I looked up at her. "Mother, is everything alright?" I asked.

She sighed and sat down on the bed. "Honestly, Emmy...I don't know..." she said under her breath. "Your father is focusing all his time and energy on the war, and I don't think it's good to him..."

I glanced at Chrom. "Mother, can we talk about this later? I know he's too young to understand, but I don't want to talk about this around Chrom,"

Mother nodded and hugged Chrom and I close. "Of course, sweetheart..." She squeezed us one last time and released us, picking up Chrom. "Now, who's hungry?"

"Me!!!" Chrom cheered, wrapping his tiny arms around Mother's neck.

She laughed. "Alright then, little one! Let's get some breakfast!" She and Chrom left the room, I followed close behind. What could Father be planning?

...

"Chroooom! Stop! You're making a mess!" I whined as my baby brother got his breakfast of mixed berries all over his blue tunic.

"No!" He stuck his tongue out at me.

"Oh, that does it!" I reached out to wipe some of the juice off his face, but he retaliated by headbutting into me and getting me messy. "Chrom! I'm wearing white! This will stain!!!"

"He doesn't know that, Emmy," Mother said, taking Chrom and placing him on her lap. "Me, on the other hand: am wearing purple, so it won't show!"

I sat back down in a huff and crossed my arms. "No fair!"

"Emmeryn, sweetie, we've had Chrom for over a year! You should know better than to wear white!"

"Whatever!" I ignored her.

We ate in silence for a few minutes.

"Emmy, you have lessons today, you should go and change after breakfast." Mother said.