I Don't Know What to Do...

Evelina

I awoke to the sound of a baby crying.

"Ah! Where's that coming from?!" I asked aloud. I looked down and saw that it was my child. "Shhh... It's ok, honey... Mommy's here..." She continued to cry, despite my attempts to comfort her.

Wait...how long have I been asleep?! I looked up and saw that the sun was still high in the sky. It's probably sometime around noon... Anna continued to flail and cry in my arms. "You must be hungry, little one..." I sighed. Just then, a nauseating smell wafted through my nostrils. "Ugh, and you need to be changed!"

Once Anna was changed and fed, she calmed down and began to coo in my arms. I grinned at the sight of her being so happy. "My sweet girl..." I murmured. "I can't believe I actually did that! I ran away from the Grimleal without getting caught!" I hugged my child closer. "I did it! We're free! It's just you and me from now on! We get to create our own destiny!"

I did it! I actually did it! From here on out, we're on our own path! Our path to...to... "Oh dear... I have no idea what I'm doing..."

I banged my head against the tree I was leaning on and cursed to myself. "Damnit! What was I thinking?! I have nowhere to go, I don't know this kingdom at all, there's a war, and I have no idea how to care for a baby!" Damnit! Damn it, damn it, damn it!!! "What...what do I do...?"

I...I have no idea what to do! This was the first recklessly brave thing I've ever done! I don't know what to do from here! I looked down at Anna, who was beginning to fall asleep. H-how do I keep the both of us safe?!

Just then, I heard the rustling of leaves overhead, and my gaze went to it at once. A robin flew into a nest, and three little heads popped up to greet her. A robin had her children this late in the season...? It's almost fall! The mother bird fed all 3 of her young without trouble as if she's always been meant to do this. Once she knew her babies were satisfied, she settled into the nest with them; watching for potential predators and keeping them warm.

I smiled at her. "Heh...you and I are in a similar boat, I guess..." I sighed. "We have a harsh winter ahead of us...that's for sure..."

"I'm scared..." I began to cry. "I really am. I'm terrified that the Grimleal are going to find us and take my Anna away...that I won't be able to take care of her...that we'll get caught up in all the fighting... I-I don't want that to happen! I want to keep Anna with me forever and never let her go! I want to keep her safe! She's my life, now! I can't let anything happen to her!"

The robin cocked her head at me and chirped. "I-I have no idea what to do!" I looked at my bandaged leg. "A-and my leg... I need to get it fixed...and fast! I won't be able to protect Anna if I'm impaired like this! If we're attacked my soldiers, or bears, or anything else...I won't be able to protect us... How...how am I supposed to do this...?"

I cried silently, letting everything fall apart around me. I don't know what to do... For the first time in my life... I don't know what to do... Gods...help me... Everything is so hazy. I can't feel a thing. I don't know what to do. I'm lost...

Just as I was about to completely fall into my doubt, the gentle coo of my baby snapped me from my trance. I looked into her sapphire blue eyes, and she smiled, reaching out to me with her little hands. It made my heart melt.

As I looked into her eyes...memories of my mother came back to me.

"Evelina, if you're passionate and determined to do something: then you've already accomplished it!" She always said to me. "With a mind and heart like yours, anyone would be lucky to have you as their protector!"

I giggled as the memory of her taking care of my wounds after a sparring match with my brother came to me. "Lina, with your ferocity and poise on the battlefield: you're unstoppable! I pity the person who comes between you and your goals! I truly do! You can protect your loved ones in your sleep, my dear. You needn't worry about a thing..."

...And a memory of when she would stay up late with me to study strategy. "You were born with a tactical mind, dear Evelina!" She would laugh. "You can plan out an entire strategy to win a war on a cotenant across the sea that you've never been to! You will always have a plan, even if it seems like you don't! Trust your instincts, and they will take you far..."

Warm tears welled in my eyes, and a broad smile spread on my face. "Mother... Oh, how I miss you... I hope you and Father are watching over us..." My tears fell to the ground. "I-I wish you could meet your granddaughter! She looks just like you! She has your eyes...and hair...and who knows, maybe she'll have your personality!" I gave my infant a prideful look. "Y-you're right! I can do this!"

Slowly, I began to stand up. My leg screamed in pain, and my entire body wanted me to collapse. I didn't listen to it. With a sharp gasp of pain, I managed to stand. "I-I did it!" Anna giggled and cooed as if she was cheering me on. I kissed her tiny forehead, and that only made her laugh more.

I gathered my belongings and began to walk, each step more painful than the last. "You taught me how to be brave, mother, and now I'm going to use your teachings to be brave for my daughter! I won't let you down!"

I heard the robin chirp in the distance as if she was approving something. I won't let anyone down!

I hugged my daughter tight and trudged on. "Alright, Anna! Let's find a village, take care of ourselves, and then we'll figure out our next move from there!" Anna cooed her approval and gently tugged at my hair. You know... I can get used to this!

"Don't worry, Anna! Mama's got everything under control!"

And I did.

_________________

Ehhh...ya see what I did there? Robin? Anyone? I'll leave XD. Anyway, it's really late and I'm tired, so I'm gonna wrap this up quickly I always imagined Evelina would have a little panic attack once she escaped because a lot has happened in one short day and she doesn't really know how to handle it! Ok, yeah... You need a break, Evelina XD. I hope you enjoyed the Skyrim music as much as I did. I love that game <3. Thank you so much for reading, and look forward to reading more!