Secret

Chrom
One year later...

A lot can change in a year. One moment, you're trying to figure out your place in life. The next thing you know, you are groomed to be a proper prince.

"Remember, keep your head tall and walk with grace and purpose."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And what is the proper way to greet a lady?"

"A bow or a kiss on the hand."

"And what are you supposed to do when you have a conflicting opinion with someone?"

"Politely ask to debate or keep my mouth shut."

"Very good! You are shaping up to be a fine young gentleman!"

Just then, someone knocked on the door. "May I come in?" Emm asked. 

"Yes, Milady," the tutor said.

Emm came into my room, holding the hand of Lissa. "How is everything?" she asked.

The tutor began to clean up her books. "His etiquette skills are shaping up very nicely."

"I'm glad to hear that," Emm smiled.

Lissa escaped from her sister's grasp and ran up to me. "Big Brother!!" She engulfed me in a hug.

I returned the hug, lifting her up. "Hey there, Little Lissa. How are you?"

"Good!"

I laughed and faced Emm. "Did you need anything?"

"Do I need a reason to see my brother?" she asked. I knew she meant it as a joke but it still came off as sad.

"I'll see myself out." The tutor bowed and exited my room.

Emm sighed. "I'm proud to see that your studies are going well. I've never seen such a fast learner as you!"

I smiled softly. "Thank you, Emm. That really means a lot." And I meant it.

"I wanna learn!" Lissa pouted.

Emm chuckled. "Soon, little one. Soon." She returned to me. "But how are you feeling? Are there any other subjects that you think you may be interested in?"

I shook my head. "Not at the moment, no," I said. "I'll just do what you recommended. Take everything one at a time."

She nodded. "Alright then." She coaxed me to hand Lissa off to her. "We were just about to take a walk in the gardens. Would you like to join?"

"As much as I would, I have some reading to catch up on. Maybe another time?"

Emm gave me a sad look but smiled anyway. "Of course. I shall see you soon."

"Bye."

As soon as the door clicked shut, I sprinted to my bed, pulling out a carefully hidden box. "I thought they would never leave!"

I opened the box and pulled out its contents. A wooden sword and many books about swordplay. "I think I'm going to focus on blocks, today..."

I picked up my sword and propped the book on the table. "Alright. Let's do this!" I copied the pictures on the pages, swinging my sword to fend off imaginary attackers.

Emm wouldn't let me learn to fight, so I had to learn how myself. I smuggled as many books on swordplay and battle skills I could from the library and used a toy sword to practice. This has been going on for about a year.

In truth, I absolutely hated my lessons, but I played along. Acted like the paragon prince. I will not turn into a noble who lets everyone do the fighting for him. I'm going to fend for myself.

I'm going to protect my sisters. I'm going to protect Ylisse! I promised! I won't let anyone down! Once I'm strong enough, I can show Emm that I haven't become Father!

*****

Lil sneaky Chrom being sneaky. I need to set alarms. I have to go. Yay, math class. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more.